Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This puzzle was dropped off on my desk last week. The “rocket” is placed in the cup. You must remove it without dumping it out or using tools (paper clips, tape, etc.). The problem is that there is no place to grab the rocket. How do you get it out? See video at the end if you can’t figure it out.

I usually make projects from wood but I don’t have a lathe. Therefore, I opted for a 3D print (white/magenta version) with dimensions taken from the wood version. I’ve included drawings in case someone wants to make their own.

More Info: https://www.instructables.com/id/Newtons-Gravity-Defying-Puzzle-3D-Print/
Video Solution:

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
Having not yet watched the video before posting this my first guess would be to float the rocket out by adding a little water. There is enough difference in the cup hole and rocket diameters to let water poured on the rocket top to work around the water and end up lifting/floating the rocket. If water isn't allowed then air blown down or across the rocket top might do the trick.

4D. Now off to watch the video.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are good! The simple answer is to blow on it. One person actually shoved his thumb on the top of the cone for 30 seconds and pulled it up real quick. He was able to get it out with this method. I now call him spiderman.

Having not yet watched the video before posting this my first guess would be to float the rocket out by adding a little water. There is enough difference in the cup hole and rocket diameters to let water poured on the rocket top to work around the water and end up lifting/floating the rocket. If water isn't allowed then air blown down or across the rocket top might do the trick.

4D. Now off to watch the video.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts