Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have some friends who asked me to help them with a problem they have ... they had an extension added to the bottom of the railing of their stairs. There was already a newell post at the end of the railing, so they ended up putting another baluster at the end where the newell post would usually go. It is weird, but maybe the pics will clear it up.

So anyway, the woman bought another newell post for the end, so there will be 2 newell posts next to each other.

She asked me to help figure out how to get this new thing installed ... ugh.

The old baluster was just toenailed in place. For this new thing, I cut it to length and will use 2 short dowels and some epoxy to keep it from twisting.

Attachments

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The idea is that I can place the template where the post will go at her house to locate the holes in the bottom stair.

Last pic for now, the post during painting

Attachments

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed it tonight. The double dowel thing worked like a charm. It is in there very snug and does not twist at all. I was planning on epoxying it in, but it didn't even need any. Maybe after a while, if it gets loose, I can take it out again and glue it in place, but for now, we decided to leave it as it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.