Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i just started into woodworking well kinda i got a foot in the door. Ive restained a kitchen table and chairs and stained a couple simple wall shelves and im about to build a small livingroom shelf. My question is when you stain has it been better to stain after everything is put together or apart and then finish.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome to the forum fabiani - Always stain, paint or finish after assembly because glue will not work on stained or finished wood. It just won't penetrate any finish and do its' job.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
I don't believe there is a definitive answer to this, it depends on the situation, for example in the case of loose panels that allow for expansion and contraction if they are finished after completion, and the frame expands, or the panel shrinks there will be an unfinished line showing. If a part has to be finished before assembly just avoid finishing any areas that glue is applied to.

As has been said there are many good reasons to finish after assembly when possible.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Good point Frank - I wasn't thinking of panels in my answer and since you brought up the subject - there are exceptions to every rule. The bottom line is > don't get stain on parts that will need to absorb glue!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I usually stain after assembly, but there has been times when I've had to work with pre finished parts. Melamine glue actually bonds to laquer pretty well (helmibond #890..or titebond has one as well) but I still prefer to glue before finish as I know the bond will be better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts