Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
It all started with trying to find inexpensive Christmas gifts for my friends. I ended up burning some charcuterie boards... and my fingers. They turned out great! ...the boards, that is.

My husband describes me as a lazy over achiever. All I want to do is chill, but I found myself compelled to build props for my son's Marching Band competitions, becoming an officer on the booster board, picking up a 2nd job and now I want to create a legacy project for the Band.

I'm looking to brand 18"-22" fraternity/sorority paddle boards for each senior student with their accomplishments over 4 years. I'd like to use an electric branding iron for 3 logos and brass letters with a 10cm T slot. Anyone here have any experience with this kind of thing? I'm attaching a picture of a scaled mock up and my Christmas gifts (lol)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,100 Posts
welcome to the forum, Mrom.
exactly what is your question ??

Reactions: mrom1030

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
welcome to the forum, Mrom.
exactly what is your question ??
Thanks! I'm wondering how difficult it would be to keep the multiple lines of lettering straight with a 10cm T slot. I think each line would require 1-2 separate brandings. I'm also considering something like an Ortur Laser Master 2 Laser Cutter and engraving instead. It would would actually cost less. Does anyone have experience branding lots of text or using this type of laser cutter?

·
Super Moderator
4,100 Posts
I guess I got hung up on the term "branding" - which, to me, means a heated branding iron of a logo.
laser engraving and pyro-pen engraving are two different animals: 3 if you throw in the branding "iron".
so I guess you are wondering: what is the simplest and most cost effective of:
branding iron
laser engraving
pyrography (wood burning) pens/tools

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
it's surprising the logic of the question has not occurred to the poster.

a hot iron hand wielded 'burning' tool requires skill, practice and artistry. no two 'burns' will be the same, keeping lots of text in alignment can probably be done, with 20-30 years experience. silversmiths from 300 years ago mastered the technique.

a branding iron - of whatever material - with such fine detail would be created using a metal working CNC machine. the lead time and expense for a one-off trophy burn - not remotely viable.

a variable 'type-setter' wood branding set-up is now an antique. might pick one up really cheap.

a CNC laser burning device will produce the same pattern as the branding iron. and any other pattern one chooses to 'convert' to a CNC program. the set-up/lead time is minutes, not months. CNC driven it will produce a straight line of text without blinking.

basically, the technical solution is a no brainer.
which CNC laser burner is best - well, that's a different question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
absolutely.
Well....maybe with the exception of your first line.

When I called myself a newbie, it included both this community and working with wood. I literally picked up a pyrography pen mid December and the trophy board idea came to me last week. I was originally thinking about mixing logo branding and typeset branding, but the logistics of trying to make it look nice for 45 boards had me questioning the process.

After my initial post, I looked around at other discussion groups and discovered that CNC laser burning devices exist. In light of this, yes, the technical solution is a no brainer.

TomCT2, do you have an opinion on which CNC laser burner is best? ....for someone who just wants to play around?

Now...I'm off to create some work space in my garage.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
do you have an opinion on which CNC laser burner is best? ....for someone who just wants to play around?
Not Tom, but i hope you wont mind me jumping in. What kid of playing around budget do you have? The easiest CNC intro machine i know of is one of the venerable 3018 kits, they have a somewhat small work envelope but do work, and can be fit with a variety of tool heads, like a laser engraver module.

Another option would be, weirdly enough, a 3d printer. A bit of work can convert most 3d printers on the market to a laser engraver. Something like an Ender 3 would make a good host, bit of legwork involved to add on a laser module but its doable

Word of warning though, playing around with CNC machines is somewhat akin to playing catch with a cactus... Its rewarding when it works, but the learning curve can be somewhat steep

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not Tom, but i hope you wont mind me jumping in. What kid of playing around budget do you have? The easiest CNC intro machine i know of is one of the venerable 3018 kits, they have a somewhat small work envelope but do work, and can be fit with a variety of tool heads, like a laser engraver module.

Another option would be, weirdly enough, a 3d printer. A bit of work can convert most 3d printers on the market to a laser engraver. Something like an Ender 3 would make a good host, bit of legwork involved to add on a laser module but its doable

Word of warning though, playing around with CNC machines is somewhat akin to playing catch with a cactus... Its rewarding when it works, but the learning curve can be somewhat steep
I appreciate your suggestions epicfail48! I will definitely look into them.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
my experience with CNC has been in metal - large machines doing nothing "artistic" - with seven digit price tags.
doesn't translate well to your project....

have you see the wooden desk name tags/blocks - or tradeshow freebies - those are typically laser engraved/burned.
in fact the local trophy shop does that - fairly reasonable costs, but they've had 10+ years to pay off their equipment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts