Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my Father's house for a visit and came home with a mirror that had been part of my Mother's bedroom set as a kid. I'd like to refinish it - maybe even make it into a contemporary looking mirror. What is the best product to use to remove it's original finish before doing some sanding to smooth out the surface. I'm thinking of painting/staining it gray or silver. I may even give it a distressed look - not sure.

First I'd like to prep it. Here is the picture:

IMG_0130 (2).jpg

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Hi and welcome.
I’m not an expert, but I refinished all my kitchen cabinets and I used JASCO Paint remover. It worked great and the new finish came out better then I expected. Just follow the directions. I’ve never used any other products and maybe someone else knows of something better.

·
Registered
26,369 Posts
I would just finish it without distressing it. It was never intended to be rustic. If you are going to paint it unless the old paint is flaking off you may not need to strip the old finish off, just paint over it. If you want to strip it I use Kleen Strip paint and varnish remover. One problem you may have this time of year is temperature. Even commercial removers don't do well below 70 degrees. I'm near Dallas and I've suspended refinishing for hire until spring because I can't depend on warm weather. Anyway the most important part of any refinish is getting the wood as completely free of the old finish as possible. You put on a liberal coat of remover and let it soak for 15 to 20 minutes re-applying more stripper to the dry spots. Then with the profile you have it would be good to rub it down with a brass stripping brush. If you have any areas where the finish doesn't come loose apply some more stripper and let it soak longer until the finish will rub off with the brush. Then if you have access to a power washer that is rated below 1500 psi or one that can be adjusted down rinse the old finish and residue off with it. If you use the low pressure it does no more damage to the wood then wiping with a wet rag. If the power washer isn't an option wipe the residue off with some old rags as best you can followed by cleaning the remaining residue off with rags soaked in lacquer thinner. It's very important that you get the residue of the remover off because the chemicals in the remover will adversely affect the new finish and also removers contain wax to help keep them from evaporating so fast. Once the frame is stripped and dry it can be sanded and finished as if it was new wood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts