Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm interested in making the giant wooden lawn animals, like moose, deer, bears, etc. I've only made one set here or there & have always used a hand jigsaw. I'm looking to expand & start making large quantities of them. Anyone have any advice on what would be the best tool to invest in to accomplish this? I make them out of 1/2" plywood & the largest body is around 3 feet long.

Here's a picture for those who don't know what I'm talking about. I don't know how well I explained myself!!

Thanks so much!!

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
For the size you are talking about a jigsaw is
ideal for the job. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Although you might think about a router. I am doing some similar things but much smaller and I trace around my template, jig saw close to the line, and then clamp the template to the plywood and router the shape out. For me it's faster.

·
Registered
83 Posts
And.... are you using plans you found on the internet for those moose, bear, etc? My wife has asked that I make some of them for her and I'd appreciate a link.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Awwww so many opinions! :huh:

Well here's another. Do not use a jigsaw for your application. Use a high quality jigsaw and forget the bandsaw or router for this specific application especially the size and need for this relative precision.

My prefernce for this exact application (yes I have produced the Christmas/seasonal income patterns this way) is the Bosch barrel grip jigsaw.

But any quality jigsaw here will do.

·
where's my table saw?
27,864 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts