Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question I just found someone selling Ash on the CL. Is the wood any good? I know depends on the project
, but its a general question. What would one use this wood for besides making baseball bats?

TIA

Richard

AIR DRIED 5 years +

1" thick, rough sawn, random width 4" to 10" X 8' to 10' length

#2 and #3 common grade mixed.

$.45/BF, minimum 100 BF, any cheaper than this and we would just call it firewood.
Also, some red Oak of similar grade available at the same price.

This would be very good for someone who crafts small items such as nick-knack shelves, foot stools, wall plaques etc. or who has the artistic talent to create rustic shabby-chic furniture.

I'm not an expert wood grader or lumber dealer. This was cut off my own property and I got way more than needed. I am making my best judgement of grade based on the information on this page: http://www.schallerhardwood.com/hardwood_lumber_grades.htm

·
Registered
147 Posts
You can use ash for anything you'd like. I don't know why everyone thinks that because ash is used for baseball bats it's as hard as steel. I've made a few projects with it and it's very easy to work with. Like most hardwoods you have to predrill if you're using screws.

I don't know a lot about moisture levels but I'm not sure if I'd trust the AIR DRIED 5 years +

·
Registered
354 Posts
If it's #2 and #3 there will be numerous knots and probably edge defects. Around here ash is about $2 bf at lumber yards. That stuff's cheap but you'll have to so a lot of culling to get usable lumber.

Air dried will have reached equilibrium moisture contect for your area of the country. Around here it's 10-11% but with the ocean nearby yours may be higher.

There'll probably be a lot of work involved to get relatively smallish pieces of good stuff.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If it's #2 and #3 there will be numerous knots and probably edge defects. Around here ash is about $2 bf at lumber yards. That stuff's cheap but you'll have to so a lot of culling to get usable lumber. Most likely it will look real gray from being outside that long.

Air dried will have reached equilibrium moisture contect for your area of the country. Around here it's 10-11% but with the ocean nearby yours may be higher.

There'll probably be a lot of work involved to get relatively smallish pieces of good stuff.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the information guys. I think I'm going to pass, he emailed me and said I have to take it from the top of the stack no picking. Besides after 5 years outside I sure there will be lots of little critters burried inside the wood.

Richard

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sounds like he's just trying to unload some junk out in the yard that he's tired of looking at. And the nearer the top of the pile, the worse it is in terms of flatness.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I prefer the hard,heavy northern stuff myself. They say swamp is better for instruments though. I don't know who "they" are so....:thumbdown: Can't find swamp up here anyway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for all the information guys. I think I'm going to pass, he emailed me and said I have to take it from the top of the stack no picking. Besides after 5 years outside I sure there will be lots of little critters burried inside the wood.

Richard
I don't remember what they're called but some type of wood boring insect loves ash. I found some trails in my lumber but no bugs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's called the Emerald Ash Borer... they kill Ash trees for a living and do it very effectively. Rumor has it they were imported from Asia after hitching a ride in packing crates. Around here, they've killed so many of the trees that it's gone to emergency status.

Something to seriously look out for if you're looking to buy any local-cut ash. Don't know what the laws are in your state, but here in Michigan, they've pretty much quarantined any transport of local-cut Ash wood unless it's going to the incinerator. Tickets, fines, etc. if you get caught.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have made a dining room table out of ash and then a buffet to match and love the dramatic figure and grain of the wood...to me is preferable to working with oak which crumbles instead of shearing....I use carbide bits and predrill holes for screws....currently working on another table also in ash. Ash is my preferred wood. Can't beat the figure and grain.
Am planing on a set of bookshelves for the living room and also an entertainment center...all to be done in ash...I have a good supplier who lets me cherry pick his pile....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts