Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. I'm not an experienced carpenter or woodworker, never had room to have a shop until now. However, I am a DIY'r without a lot of fear and a high degree of tenacity.

I just purchased 37 acres of land with several small outbuildings and a log cabin that built in 1888 on it. The cabin was expanded in the early 1900's and the new (relatively speaking) section is not log.

The cabin is in very good shape for it's age and was inhabited full time until about 15 years ago but it does need quite a bit of work done on it.

We are planning on restoring/rehabilitating it over the next few years. For restoring the cabin, I'll be working mostly with rough sawn lumber, not dimensional lumber.

Our first order of business is to build a 16 x 16 storage shed on a concrete pad that is already in place on the property. My plan is to build a basic stick frame building using modern dimensional lumber.

Our plans also include building a full size workshop in the next couple of years. I plan to buy a cabinet saw and other more stationary tools once the workshop is done.

Currently I have a cheap table saw (Black and Decker firestorm) and a cheap delta 10" mitre saw that both came from big box retailers. I'm trying to decide if I should sell them and buy larger more robust replacements. Since the full workshop won't be in place for a while, I need to maintain portability for the time being.

What would you recommend? I don't really like buying tools twice, so I don't mind paying more upfront; however, I don't want to waste money either.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26,374 Posts
I would stick with what you have for now. When the time comes and you need a tool to do a paticular job you will know it. I've always let the jobs I do determine what tools I have. Eventually over time you will buy less and less tools.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Selling your current tools won't fetch much. I'd buy some decent inexpensive blades, and make do with what you have until you have a shop and can do the upgrades properly. Something like an Irwin Marples (not Irwin "Marathon") or Freud Diablo 24T rip blade for your TS, and a 60T or 80T for crosscuts on your miter saw. Get them aligned as well as possible, and maybe even build a TS and/or miter saw station for them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well of the tools you have are usable, you can use them to build with.
Meanwhile it won't make you cry - too much - if your tools get rained on.
Reselling used tools that are not upper echelon won't net you much.
Then when your shed is done you can go get some Felder machinery and run a power service to the shed.
Or Martin - - yah build a principally martin shop and be the envy of every board you post in.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Good decision and keep Steve's advise in mind. That's the route I took and now I have everything I need. Remodeled our kitchen last year and did 98% of the work myself. It was a major structural job and we figured I save us about $40,000. I buy quality tools and they pay me back.:shifty:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts