Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys and gals, just stumbled on this site, looks like what I've been looking for to help fill the woodworker (or lack of) gap in my life. I basically play around with wood, spent about 10 years as a frame carpenter (hack), some of which was spent doing exterior siding and trim, soffit, fascia, and decks. Mostly self taught on everything else to do with woodworking, but much of it comes from asking talented people a lot of questions. Have a fair amount of tools; tablesaw, router, scrollsaw, drillpress, sanders, air nailers (trim and brad), compound miter saw, along with the basics, i.e. circular saw, drills, clamps, etc. Also have a pretty strong background in electronics. Anyhow, I can already see there is a wealth of knowledge here, so I'll be picking your brain soon enough. I guess if there is one thing I would like to learn right now, it would be dovetail joints, although I think I would need some more tools!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the show. Dovetail joints can be layed out and cut by hand. They've been around for a long long time, but I wouldn't care to try it. Tools can greatly simplify this little embelishment and allow you to spend the few hours you have to devote to woodworking in a more constructive manner. Several jigs are available that work in conjunction with your router but you must grasp this one trueism with regard to tools. You will never get MORE than you pay for so spend wisely and with an eye to the future. Never buy something that you can get by with if it can be avoided.

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
tools for dovetails etc

I would agree, get the best you can afford or second hand off ebay.

My policy is to wait until I have a project and then buy the tool to complete. justifying against cost of having job done by a professional.
johnep

1 - 4 of 4 Posts