Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly, I'm a beginner in woodworking or anything relating to carpentry. Experimenting, I exchanged a 8 1/4" blade with a 7 1/4" blade as it was the only one I had on hand and didn't think it was a big deal. Now I find that I can't remove the blade. I'm not sure if I should take the saw to a local repairshop to have them do it for me but I thought I'd sign up and ask a professional online before I went that route.

Every time I try to loosen the nut that holds back the blade, it turns the entire blade but the nut doesn't come off. I tried to find an alternate place on the saw where I thought I should place a second wrench to hold it while I turned the nut, but I couldn't find one.

I was given this miter saw, months ago, by my brother in law and I don't have the instructions for it. I'm afraid if I ask him for help, he may want the saw back.

Joe

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Unplug it...put a board on the base, bring the blade down to the wood so it's touching....then use wrench.....blade will be immobilized by the wood.

·
John
3,028 Posts
What Danno said. Make and model or, better yet a picture, would help a lot.
+1 on the left hand thread.

Reactions: jb59

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Yes left thread.

BTW - There should be a button that locks the arbor. It is usually on the right side and spring loaded. Hold the button in with the right hand and with the wrench handle pointed toward you, push down.

·
RAM Man
758 Posts
Check your Owners Manual.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Check your Owners Manual.
+1 The first sign of a problem with any equipment is a sign to consult the owners manual.
DAMHIKT

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
most saws have a reverse thread

most saws if not all have a lock botton of lever to lock the spindle

The option to drop the blade into a plank to hold is a good one. With a larger balde I might simply hold the blade with my hand but DONT CUT YOURSELF. Sorry for shouting

plus however many it is on pic and model

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a pic. Will include model shortly. I have to go get it. It's an old saw but gonna take someone's else's advice in here and try to find the manual (online). When I got this saw for free, I didn't complain too much that it didn't come with a manual.

Took that pic with my $15 cell phone and my freaking thumb got in the way.

What Danno said. Make and model or, better yet a picture, would help a lot.
+1 on the left hand thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will look for it. Thank you sir for that reply.

Yes left thread.

BTW - There should be a button that locks the arbor. It is usually on the right side and spring loaded. Hold the button in with the right hand and with the wrench handle pointed toward you, push down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gonna look for that one too. Thanks for your time sir. Will post again shortly.

most saws have a reverse thread

most saws if not all have a lock botton of lever to lock the spindle

The option to drop the blade into a plank to hold is a good one. With a larger balde I might simply hold the blade with my hand but DONT CUT YOURSELF. Sorry for shouting

plus however many it is on pic and model

·
John
3,028 Posts
Pro Tech 7203
Looks like that one was sold by Sears or Lowes (or both). I couldn't find the owners manual for the 7203 so I pulled the parts explode from Sears Parts Direct and couldn't find anything that looked like a spindle lock for it. The owners manual for the 7208 (10" version) indicates a lock on the right of the blade between the guard and the handle.
I don't know what to suggest at this point. Somehow you need to jam the arbor shaft to break loose the blade bolt. :blink:

·
Lector
80 Posts
Looks like that one was sold by Sears or Lowes (or both). I couldn't find the owners manual for the 7203 so I pulled the parts explode from Sears Parts Direct and couldn't find anything that looked like a spindle lock for it. The owners manual for the 7208 (10" version) indicates a lock on the right of the blade between the guard and the handle.
I don't know what to suggest at this point. Somehow you need to jam the arbor shaft to break loose the blade bolt. :blink:
I have used a long thin screw-driver between the teeth and the cover.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have used a long thin screw-driver between the teeth and the cover.
+1
I have used that method before also, but reading the manual was actually my first thought.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts