Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Matt Lehmann I live on Long Island I'm a local 638 Steamfitter by trade just bought a house I did alot the work myself but also had the help of a handyman !
Now that im settled into new home there r a lot of Wood related projects I'd like to do !

·
7,222 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your thread asks for help, but the post does not have any information on what issue you be in need of help to solve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st project is a hand rail I was at Home Depot last night and got the parts I think I need and started working I will post pics of what I bought and what I did so far but I really need some help cause I already ruined a $20 pice of oak!
Will update when I'm done with work later this afternoon!!
Thanks Matt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using the phone app and working out the kinks it's a bit finicky to type with!!
Sorry ill get used to it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a nail gun and compressor a dewalt single bevel mitar saw and makita drill /impact driver

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok this is where im having trouble can I connect these pcs with dowels ? This is just for decoration there will be no posts just the rail

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I use these?
The issue I see is I cut piece of upeaseing toget the angle right but its only a few inches so don't think I can use aspiring bolt on both ends of it

image-1423031185.jpg

·
7,222 Posts
I am not familiar with spring bolts.

If this is not structural, it is easier.

I would use 2 or 3 dowels. Drill hole in one end, then get some dowel pins to put in the holes, press the other end against the pins and now you know where to drill in the end piece.

If you end up with alignment issues, which I have wrestled with myself, then you may have to file one or more holes larger on one side and use epoxy in the dowel holes since it will fill the gap and be strong.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=44995&cat=1,180,42288

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Dave thanks for the help ok that was kinda the answer I was hoping for would home depot have the dowels?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
I'd go dowels too....home depot has dowels, but make sure you check them that they're round and the right diameter. I went to buy some the other day and 1/2 inch dowels varied by as much as 3/16's of an inch.....which isn't going to work if you use a 1/2 inch drill bit...and your dowel isn't 1/2 inch.

Home depot has their hardwood dowels back by trim....

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
You can use a rail bolt, they are specifically made for connecting stair railing parts. The hole for the machine screw end is made a little larger than the bolt. This allows unrestricted alignment of the two parts. Dowels have to be drilled dead on or the parts won't line up and you'll have to do a lot of sanding and shaping. Drilling in the end grain of hardwood stair parts so you are perfectly square to both the mating faces is difficult. Dowels need a tight fit and shocks to the joint can easily loosen it. Stair rails take a lot of abuse. The rail bolts can be tightened up in the future just by removing the plug.
http://www.stairfasteners.com/s_rail.htm

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
There are a few other joint techniques that vastly improve/speed up the process....but it would take 1/2 dz pages to even come close to the defining the nuances.

Nope,this tip is easy to understand and "should" be used with just about whatever method you decide on.

Pare(sp)the end joints in their centers.Don't need to go crazy here,just take a razor sharp smallish butt chisel and take a few slices out of the center's 80%.Leaving a nice ribbon(3/16) of unmolested wood around perimeter.

Then when you tighten your joint,it really improves the "finish".

The really neat thing(for me) about handrails isn't the joint techniques,isn't the precision,isn't the math.....all real good stuff.Nope,it's the strategy that it takes.The more complicated the rail system...the more you have to "map" out your joint sequence.You cna really work yourself into a bind if not careful.You plan out every joint,in exactly the right sequence.As a pipe fitter you know this......it's exactly the same thing.Just like,you don't want to be cutting pipe joints apart...same thing with handrails.Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I Would use a rail bold but the issue is the sm uprise pice I cut to make the opening cap level
So I'm attaching 3 pcs of wood the rail then small
Transition piece then the opening cap !
So I don't think I can fit a rail boat on both sides of the sm transition piece

image-1631022446.jpg

Here is a better pic I wanna attach both these pieces to the hand rail to dress it up!!!
I'm thinking dowels might be my only option??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can I drill strait through the transition piece into the railing run a dowel all the way through the transition into railing and cap use glue

·
7,222 Posts
Can I drill strait through the transition piece into the railing run a dowel all the way through the transition into railing and cap use glue
Drilling for short dowels may be a challenge for alignment.

Trying to drill straight through the transition piece and into the end will be even more of a challenge.

It is a bit of catch-22. If the pieces were joined together you could drill through, but you need to drill to be able to join them together.

If you are going to attempt to drill straight through, I would try and glue the pieces together temporarily, either with two part epoxy or thick CA (super glue).

The benefit of the CA glue is that you can hold the pieces together while someone else sprays the accelerator to cure the glue. No clamping.

You will still need to be careful when drilling to minimize stress on the joint. Tape over the joint to help support the glue while drilling.

Good luck, you will need the woodworking gods smiling on you. :icon_smile:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts