Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey anyone who might be reading this!

My name is Dennis, (I attempted to make my username "thedennisblack), but in my haste to create an account I typed much too quickly and submitted before checking! I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. I am young, and have spent a lot of time searching for a hobby that I'd really enjoy. I have spent quite a bit of money :censored:, and learned a lot, but I have never found anything that stuck. I have had some issues with depression, and have found that keeping myself busy with something productive (that was really the key) helps a great deal! I had always been interested in woodworking, but was convinced it was too much to handle (for some reason, I have had that perspective in relation to many things which I am learning is not the case!). On a Thursday about two weeks ago I decided that I could do it, and that I was going to build a bookshelf. Friday morning I woke up, went to the hardware store and bought some lumber, wood nails, and some wood glue (my father already had a small assortment of power tools). By Friday night I had a bookshelf built and primed - by Saturday night I had a fully assembled and painted bookshelf! I was a cub scout, but beyond that I have zero experience with woodworking.

So, I've come to this forum for two reasons: A.) I want a place that I can come to continually to learn and grow as a woodworker and B.) I have a specific question about creating sketches/plans (I'm not sure exactly what to call them). My question is: Is there a template, or a specific way in which people go about creating their own woodworking plans? I am a fan of seeing out my own ideas to the finish (even if it ends up being ugly!), and I want to know if there is some way in which I can clean up my plans, as well as make it so that somebody else who is familiar with woodworking could see my plans and know exactly what I'm trying to do!

So that's the story of Dennis! If anyone has any questions (or even better, has an answer to my question!) feel free to respond! Thanks in advance!

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Hey there Dennis & welcome to the forum. If you want to learn.. this is the place to be!
There's a great group of very knowledgeable folks here who are more than willing to help.
Dig around and look at some of the "build threads". Lots of step by step photos.
Ask questions if you are in doubt about a procedure or the steps to take.
To answer your question... There's a program called "Sketchup". Its free from google and there's a Q&A forum here for it.
"I" can't get it to function on this 'puter but others speak very highly of it.
Enjoy the boards and make sure you post some photos of your projects.
..Jon..

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Hunter
240 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is a great place to learn more.

There isn't a really good answer to your question. Everybody does their planning and designing differently. Sketchup is a widely used program and if you are computer savvy would be worth your time to learn.

Hunter

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome from NH - This is a great forum you've joined...

As to your question - When planing out my projects, I get the big picture of what I want with a rough drawing. Like Jon, I can't seem to grasp sketch-up but lots of folks like it. Before I put detail plans on graph paper, I have to decide what type of joints I'm going to use because the answer will affect the final measurements.

One advise I give to all new woodworkers is don't throw out your scraps of wood. Use them to practice your joinery and before you know it, you won't need to settle for "ugly". Also, try building shop furniture like a simple workbench and storage cabinets - these are good practice builds and "ugly" is acceptable in the workshop as long as it's functional.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.