Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have to do lists for various catergories, house, camper, each car,me personally etc. None for woodworking per se. The trick to a happy reitrement is to do as few of the things on the list as is practicable. Focus on very easy things and things with a big return on your investment of time and effort (like a smal hot water unit for our kitchen sink).

I will say that those simple card holderrs (which also hold Scrabble tiles and my digital cooking thermometer base stain) please me every time I/we use them.

·
Thumb Nailer
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have 1 son, 2 daughters and 1 grandson. None of whom have any interest in woodworking.
Some things I think are just generational like woodworking, bowling, and HAM Radio. There are a few crossovers, but not many.
That made me laugh. I have one nephew that is actually interested in woodworking, but, well he is going to need a lot of years before I would be comfortable leaving my shop to him. He's not even in high school yet.

God willing and the creeks don't rise as it were, we will have a good number of years before we have to worry about that. But we are not guaranteed our next breath let alone years... Who knows? If I go early, I can only hope my inventory and documentation of values helps my wife properly liquidate the shop and put the funds to good use.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't make resolutions. But if I did it would simply be spend more time in the shop.
Pretty much this. I had to take a long hiatus and have just recently been able to get cleaned up and start again. I have a couple projects in my head that I'd like to get done through the year.

·
Premium Member
5,568 Posts
The only one we know of that is interested in woodworking is my SO's son-in-law.
He will probably get it all. Whatever he dont want he can sell for my SO. What ever he can get for for her will be more than she would get on her own.
This reminds me of way back when I was fairly new at woodworking when I lived in LR, Ar. I belonged to a woodworkers club that met at Paxton Lumber. When member would die the other guys would be all over it dealing with the widow. For some reason, I just couldn't get myself to bargaining with a grieving widow.
We also had a woodturners club that met at my shop. We all joked about "no one quits our club, we bury 'em"

·
Thumb Nailer
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I realize I forgot to mention install the compressed air piping system. I got a knock off / copy of a rapidaire 1/2" system for Christmas. I have it MOSTLY installed. I need to move the hose reel from the area by the band saw / back of the shop, to the area between the overhead doors / front of the shop, and make the connections across the ceiling and call it done...

·
Premium Member
5,568 Posts
Makes me feel like i'm living in the stone age. LOL

·
Thumb Nailer
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Makes me feel like i'm living in the stone age. LOL
LOL, My wife had me pick what I wanted on Black Friday. The entire setup cost less than one Chinese take out dinner delivered with a tip... So not really that much of a splurge. It was beyond stupid cheap on Black Friday... I probably can't buy 3 of the fittings for what i paid for the whole kit now...

·
Registered
Termite
6,643 Posts
Looking real.hard at combination the two plywood areas. I really want the lathe on the wall with the rack..
Wood Shelving Flooring Hardwood Beam
Wood Machine tool Hardwood Engineering Gas

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just trying to get back into it. I doubt I can go back to the woodworker I was, but hoping to pull off some reasonable work before it beats me out..

Have a lot going on between my ears, but the rest of my body ain't playing along..
I can relate. There's no climate controls for my garage / driveway shop and the cold is keeping me in the house. Damp cold & arthritis just don't go together. The Lord is helping me though, beating RA.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Goal of my projects is either better 5S organization or beautiful things to give away to people we love. And I spend very little money on tools or materials.

·
Registered
Termite
6,643 Posts
I guess the obvious question is how do you get anything out with all that stuff piled against the door?
I didn't for 7 years I was working as a furniture maker. It just sat and piled up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1. One project at a time. (Except applying finish. I can do that in batches.)
2. Learn something in every project.
3. Don't buy wood before planning out the project. (Relating to...)
4. Keep the bench clear. (I have a huge chunk of 8/4 x 10 x 36 cherry and nowhere to put it.)
5. Install the router in the table.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What's with the ladder and downspout? Is it just a place to store the downspout, or some fancy addition to the ladder?

·
Premium Member
5,568 Posts
I really want the lathe on the wall with the rack..
I really wanted my lathe against a wall also. So when I got my lathe, I made a table/cabinet for it. Like everything else in the shop, I put wheels on it. Anyone that has ever turned bowls knows how it is impossible for a small block of wood to make that much mess. It was really a pain cleaning up.
I tried something different. I wheeled my lathe in the center (between the short distance) of the floor with the table saw behind me and the doors behind it. I rested my lathe tools on the the table saw top as I was turning. For my shop, it was the best place to do my actual turning. I put a piece of Visquene over the table saw top to protect it from the sap of the turning piece. Even with the doors closed, the ships, shavings, dust etc piled up against it instead of all over the place. Was an easy clean-up and didn't have to dig out behind my other benches.
Almost everything in my shop is on retractable wheels except for the lathe. The concrete floor is full of small dips and unevenness I bought larger wheels ( I think between 3 and 4" Dia. with brakes (dont remember) for easier rolling.
When finished for the day, just roll the lathe back in its space against the wall. The set of 4 wheels was around $50.

·
Registered
Termite
6,643 Posts
What's with the ladder and downspout? Is it just a place to store the downspout, or some fancy addition to the ladder?
Dust collection for the tablesaw and edge sander...

·
Registered
Termite
6,643 Posts
I really wanted my lathe against a wall also. So when I got my lathe, I made a table/cabinet for it. Like everything else in the shop, I put wheels on it. Anyone that has ever turned bowls knows how it is impossible for a small block of wood to make that much mess. It was really a pain cleaning up.
I tried something different. I wheeled my lathe in the center (between the short distance) of the floor with the table saw behind me and the doors behind it. I rested my lathe tools on the the table saw top as I was turning. For my shop, it was the best place to do my actual turning. I put a piece of Visquene over the table saw top to protect it from the sap of the turning piece. Even with the doors closed, the ships, shavings, dust etc piled up against it instead of all over the place. Was an easy clean-up and didn't have to dig out behind my other benches.
Almost everything in my shop is on retractable wheels except for the lathe. The concrete floor is full of small dips and unevenness I bought larger wheels ( I think between 3 and 4" Dia. with brakes (dont remember) for easier rolling.
When finished for the day, just roll the lathe back in its space against the wall. The set of 4 wheels was around $50.
Somebody from Marketplace contacted me on the bar rail. If I can sell it the rack is getting moved..

21 - 38 of 38 Posts