Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Thumb Nailer
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you making any "New Years Resolutions" regarding your shop and woodworking?

My resolutions are.

#1. Finish the mods to my bandsaw. I am down to the urethane tires, I just need to install them.

#2. Upgrade the lighting to LED.

#3. Finish the miter saw cabinet drawers, add doors. Just go out and buy plywood already would ya?

#4. Finish re routing / striaightening / reducing collapsible hose on my dust collection 4" runs.

#5. Make a new key / dog leash valet for the wife. She wants me to make a wooden backer to attach a padded, fabric covered chocolates box we had for valenties day a long time ago. Sort of a memoribilia project.

#6. Finish cleaning the shop. And for once, keep the place clean.

#7. Find a way to fix the undersize round tenons in my dining room table chairs. Under my weight they keep ungluing themselves.

I am sure there is more.

·
Registered
Termite
6,656 Posts
Just trying to get back into it. I doubt I can go back to the woodworker I was, but hoping to pull off some reasonable work before it beats me out..

Have a lot going on between my ears, but the rest of my body ain't playing along..

·
Registered
113 Posts
My resolution is to hopefully start setting my shop up this summer. It’s been a long road to get here but I’m looking forward to some time to build and shape my own shop with an organized space. Here is where my 16’x30’ space will go. Just need to build a wall across the front of the shop.
Building Blue Field house Flooring Wood

Reactions: Rev. A and B Coll

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Finish more than just a few wood carvings. Must be a dozen in various states.
My heart wasn't in it and then neither was my health. Not even to make random whittling chips.

I finished a carving 2 days ago (Tlingit-style First Nations PacNW Halibut fish hook). Done. Nothing left to do.
The rough out was a long, long way from the finished wood shapes. Lots of carving work.
I'm about 10 hours east of tide water at Kitimat so the hook will just be cool wall art.

The key thing is that I FINISHED it. Best encouraging omen to end a crappy year.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Bench build this year and a Clayton Boyer clock build I'm piddling with .
I'll make the Planer a better stand and a mobile base for the table saw.
I have lots more projects spinning in my head ...and they'll probably just stay there for a while.
Sons doing some remodeling in the basement right now .
I said how do you want me to help you? He said go upstairs and I'll holler if I need you.
I taught him well.

·
Mike
221 Posts
I don't make resolutions. But if I did it would simply be spend more time in the shop.
The last thing I built was a bunch of keepsake boxes for Christmas 2020.
It seems I got more done before I retired.:(

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I don't do resolutions either, and I won't list the multitude of things I need to make for the shop or the individual cat projects I have in mind.

A big goal I hope to reach this year: getting my design and shop skills to the level that I can make cat furniture for other people. Have made but not tested a router lathe to make poles up to 8 feet long, currently making a powered device to wrap sisal rope on the poles. Also need to learn how to resaw 8/4 on a bandsaw, and lots of other new-to me skills.

·
Registered
59 Posts
New lighting is on my list also. First is to finish my rearrangement of my small shop layout. I have a shopsmith and do not use or need the full length capacity it offers so I shorten the waytubes buy 14 in”. This allowed my to turn the unit picking to much needed footage. I am building a smaller carving bench. Giving me space to build a work table to sit at While doing small detail work my canes and other small projects. Basically fitting the shop to how I work now.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I want to knock down a wall and expand my shop....
And put in better dust collection

·
Registered
421 Posts
For some good time I've been needing to declutter, not just the shop, but other spaces, as well, here at my home location. I have a barn (storage) at another property, but I seem to have collected lots of stuff, here, at my immediate location.

I have two wood shops. One is my original wood shop, 16'X20", which is now mostly lumber storage and a catch-all for a few other rarely used things.... also part of my 4000 bottle boxed-up bottle collection It has a enclosed side overhang area 6'X 15' that has the push mower, gardening tools and some other unused or rarely used stuff..... also part of the boxed-up bottle collection. There's a nonfunctioning generator, chainsaw, blower and push mower stashed in there, also. My riding lawn mower doesn't have an indoor parking space, because of all the junk taking up space in other areas.

My more recent shop is an old transformed rent house (950 sq ft), plus I added an enclosed garage 11'X 24'. It's partly become a catch-all for electrical, plumbing, metal working supplies.... some gardening related stuff as well. For some few months I've been seriously considering a major decluttering, not just tossing some stuff, but maybe hosting a garage sale. Also, stuff like two old treadle Singer sewing machine units, was to be restored, but I don't have the time or desire to do so, as I once did/thought. I had a mild stroke in 2002 and that put a damper on most of my planned goings on, back then, so lots of stuff simply became "baggage" stashed away. I was able to recover well enough to get back into woodworking, though.

At the back end of my garage (a separate room), I once had a "hand tool" (carving and lathe) 12'X12' shop. It's now cluttered with the chess freezer, lathe, generator, tile saw and telescope. Seems all my best spaces/places are filled with something.

I also have an upholstery shop with some storage of a few antiques I would have liked to have restored. I'm not sure I will ever get to these. I don't work as fast and all day long, as I once did.

I have no children. For some time I've been listing nieces and nephews to inherit lots of good stuff, but I need to declutter and get rid of lots of other not-so-good-of or unwanted/undesired stuff. I'm hoping 2022 will be a good decluttering year.

Sonny

·
Registered
Termite
6,656 Posts
I spend a lot of time trying get tools where I can get to them. Lathe. Pocket hole jig, router crafter, scroll saw, etc. Seem to get buried.. last year I spent a lot trying to re sharper bits and blades. Still have several large to go.

A lot of tools sitting around, need to get them more involved...

·
Smart and Cool
2,589 Posts
I have a number of intentions for 2022, I will strive for no new projects, and finish existing projects. In addition I am going to reduce the amount of "stuff" I have.

·
Thumb Nailer
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have no children. For some time I've been listing nieces and nephews to inherit lots of good stuff, but I need to declutter and get rid of lots of other not-so-good-of or unwanted/undesired stuff. I'm hoping 2022 will be a good decluttering year.

Sonny
I'm kind of in a similar situation. Not by choice but eh, whatever...

Unfortunately for the most part, my nephews and neices on my wifes side were adults when we married, large family and she is the youngest girl. Most of them we don't really have a relationship with. Honestly might just leave it all spread evenly between one niece on my wifes side, and then the neices and nephews on mine. I have a particular nephew I am thinking of for the workshop stuff, but he is still young...

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
I have 1 son, 2 daughters and 1 grandson. None of whom have any interest in woodworking.
Some things I think are just generational like woodworking, bowling, and HAM Radio. There are a few crossovers, but not many.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1st half of year
#1 > build router table
#2 > rearrange shop

2nd half of year
#3 > buy a proper table saw
#4 > buy a metalworking lathe

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
One thing absolutely necessary to make your resolutions and goals achievable is that they must be realistically achievable. So in the long run, dont set you bar high. If you set your goals as being realistically achievable, you are not under pressure and so you will do it as you feel like. And when you get them done, it will be a stepping stone to wanting to doing more as opposed to "I'll never get this done" and give up.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Pay more attention to dust. Got an RZ mask really like it.

Next project is a blanket chest with Celtic carved panels.

So I‘m getting back into carving — a quieter, gentler, more soul satisfying type of work. :)

·
Registered
Termite
6,656 Posts
I have 1 son, 2 daughters and 1 grandson. None of whom have any interest in woodworking.
Some things I think are just generational like woodworking, bowling, and HAM Radio. There are a few crossovers, but not many.
I thought my daughter had a itch for remodeling, woodworking, etc. After she remodeled her first house she said she was done. Don’t blame her…

1 - 20 of 38 Posts