Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has no carving, which seems a little weird to me. A commission for my Cousin Jake. Still needs a satin, probably walnut, to match the brass ends and a coat of varnish.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Na picture :blink::blink: canny see it :laughing:

Reactions: MmudKatD2

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Umm very interesting. I should do that myself. I used to walk 5 miles a day and had to fight off dogs. I had a baseball bat after a Pit Bull attacked my dog, but a cop told me that I couldn't carry a bat because it was considered a weapon.
I want to start walking again and at least with that I could say I needed it to support my my bad hip.:smile:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Very Nice Walking stick I like the Brass parts :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sleeper said:
Umm very interesting. I should do that myself. I used to walk 5 miles a day and had to fight off dogs. I had a baseball bat after a Pit Bull attacked my dog, but a cop told me that I couldn't carry a bat because it was considered a weapon.
I want to start walking again and at least with that I could say I needed it to support my my bad hip.:smile:
The hame I used weighs four ounces. The round one is seven ounces. I get my parts from www.treelineusa.com

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I filled the hollow hame about half to three quarters full of sawdust before adding epoxy to fix it to the stick. Gave it a little more heft. Also, it has a place for a small brass screw or brad to help hold it in place.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Judging by the door photo it looks about 5 ft. Is that a standard size for walking sticks? I don’t have any experience with them and was just wondering what length to make it. I’m a little excited about this especially after seeing all the hardware that’s available.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sleeper said:
Judging by the door photo it looks about 5 ft. Is that a standard size for walking sticks? I don’t have any experience with them and was just wondering what length to make it. I’m a little excited about this especially after seeing all the hardware that’s available.
This one is 50" tall. That's what was a comfortable resting height for him (both hands on top while leaning on it). The ones I've bought in the past at state parks tend to be about 54" tall. I have made sticks as tall as 60" depending on who it was for and how tall they are. I'm 5"11" and like a stick about 54-58" tall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.