Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got great advise on buying a used belt driven table saw vs a new direct drive saw from this forum. It saved me a couple of hundred dollars and got me a better machine (Thanks everyone)

My question is as I start to build up my shop what tools are still good used vs buying new?

My wish list is Router, Bandsaw, Sander (one of those belt/circle combos) and sliding miter saw. Just constantly looking at CL and ebay it would "seem" like I could go used with a bandsaw, miter and sander but router should probably go new.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Bandsaws are definitely a tool to look for used, they show up often around me. My favorites are the old Delta/Rockwell 14" models, but there's a lot of others that represent good value. The old ones can be USA models, while many of the new ones are Asian imports. Frankly, routers go on sale at good prices, I don't know of a reason to look real long for a used one. That said, if you stumble on a good buy, there's no reason to pass it up. If you refer to hand held sanders, an ROS would be plenty, and new ones are on sale regularly (the PC 390 is $80 at Menard's this week, for example). If it's stationary of bench sanders , trying to find a used one like you want might take a while, but save you some bucks.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
If your still getting your neighbors radial arm saw....I'd skip the sliding miter saw and go just a regular miter saw.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If your still getting your neighbors radial arm saw....I'd skip the sliding miter saw and go just a regular miter saw.
After getting a good, old ras, I don't use my miter saw. Most all miters get done on ts, with Incra miter gauge, or for miters in long pieces, the ras, gets unlocked from 90, and makes the cut.

I bought every machine in my shop, used, except for the Ridgid belt/spindle sander.
Unisaw, Old Craftsman dp, Red Star ras, PM jointer, Delta 14" bs, 12" Boice Crane planer, all bought used for under $1000.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd keep a miter saw for doing trim work around the house and such. It's a bunch quicker to use the detents if cutting a lot of trim.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If it is a hand held power tool, buy it new. They are subject to much abuse that you may not know about.

Stationary power tools are designed to last a long time and are not usually abused. They are good values bought used at the right price.

Bret

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it is a hand held power tool, buy it new. They are subject to much abuse that you may not know about.

Stationary power tools are designed to last a long time and are not usually abused. They are good values bought used at the right price.

Bret

I think some hand held power tools are fine to purchased used. An example would be a random orbital sander or corded drill.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I like old drills best. The chucks on the old ones are better. I bought a used jig saw kit for about half price at the pawn shop a while back. Good deal I thought. I see miter box saws,skill saws cheap all the time.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
...My question is as I start to build up my shop what tools are still good used vs buying new?...
as long as you're careful to determine if a used tool is operating properly, there aren't any tools i'd buy new instead of used. the only staionary power tool i've purchased new was my first one, a 10" delta miter saw. everything else has been used or a clearance item at the BORG. even got an 18" rikon 10-340 and netted $10 to me in the deal.

·
Jack of too many trades..
223 Posts
I generally only buy new stationary equipment if it's really cheap (e.g. harbor freight mortising machine). Otherwise, it's always vintage used (but not used up). Exceptions are made for safety...

Portables and small power tools are generally better new, or at an extreme discount (free, yard sale, thrift store).

With hand tools (planes, hammers, drivers, etc) are almost always better when vintage/used.

Used "newer" tools are usually not made to last and usually can't be repaired.

My advice is that unless it's seriously cheap, avoid anything that feels "disposable"

Woodworking is about stuff that lasts. Good tools last. The tech doesn't change much (aside from safety equipment).

There's plenty of vintage junk out there too - it just didn't have a chance to break yet. Also... there's stuff where parts are NLA and cost more than the machine. Best to avoid those.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I normally depend on my money in buying tools. Buying used band saw is just fine but I won't buy too old band saws - restoration may cost a lot.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Buying used is certainly a good way to save money. That being said, if you find a particular model of something (or several models) that you want to buy, it may take quite some time for a used one to come up.

Plus, if you buy new then you have a warranty and you know it hasn't been abused before you bought it.

Both ways have pro's and cons. My table saw and most of my hand tools were used. My router, drill press, planer, and soon a bandsaw are bought new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd buy used if I could but there's been nothing on our local craigslist worth buying for months except Powermatic 66 table saws, they seem to be plentiful. Our craigslist covers an area with over 2 million people I don't know why there's not more decent tools. I went with a new Grizzly 12" table saw vs used Powermatic. One problem is if you start researching new tools you find the older used tools don't have some of those newer features. The other problem is transporting large heavy tools yourself vs new tools show up at your door on a truck with a lift gate and pallet jack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts