Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Nice, I love Johns videos!!

The link didnt work for me either, it took me to my home page but I just clicked Johns channel from there and it took me right to the video!!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. If anyone has any questions about skews let me know. I'm working on 2 more. ONe for Keith as a demo of his skew and one using his skew to turn a birdhouse ornament. Hope to get those done fairly soon although Christmas and Thanksgiving really take up my time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Outstanding video, John. I really liked the way you presented each of the skews with their capabilities but not really dismissing any of them. it all boils down to, as you intimated, is "What's right for you, is right for you!"

Thanks for posting.

·
7,222 Posts
John, excellent video as per usual.

I learned there are a lot more types of skew chisels than I had previously observed.

Your video and the others I have seen make it look like it is possible to control this tool.

I am one of the owners of a Jeckyl-and-Hyde skew chisel. It sits on the rack in front of me and taunts me to use it. Perhaps I need to stash this away in a drawer.

When I try to use it, I normally start out having it perform as desired. However, so far, as I am getting close to finish, Mr Hyde comes out. BAM. The dreaded catch. Design change. :thumbdown:

I keep telling myself in theory with enough practice........

Then there is another BAM. Back to the rack goes Mr Hyde.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave trust me, been there done that. I still get that occasional spiral catch but not nearly as often. I can remember when no matter what I did I got a catch. Same thing with chatter on longer spindles. Then one day they were gone. The only thing I can chalk it up to was practice. I just sort of found the right groove one day and ever since that the skew is a favorite tool.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
... occasional spiral catch but not nearly as often.
Hmmm ... are you just saying that to make us feel better about ourselves? :laughing:

I've pretty much got the hang of pushing the skew in a straight line planing cut, but coves, beads and decorative touches seem always to result in a corkscrew scar :thumbdown:

·
Trytore Member
2,764 Posts
Thanks John. As a beginner I'm struggling with the skew and find it helpful to not only know that it can be done but that it can look effortless. Lots of practice in store for me.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha ha, There's 20 years worth of effortless there. :) It did take a while to get that comfortable with the skew.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts