Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am a computer engineer who has recently purchased a home in the last few years. I've found that there are an exceeding amount of jobs around the home which require knowledge of woodworking and building misc items from wood. This has gotten me interested in building a workshop. That got me interested in building a bench. Once I saw all the wonderful things you could do with the woodworking bench, I fell in love with the craft.

I almost have my shop area set and I'm about to start building a introductory woodworking bench. I have a good starting set of tools (Table Saw, Drill Press, Circular Saw, Hand Jig Saw, Bench Grinder, Belt/Disk Sander, 18V Cordless Drill, and a couple hand planes.

I'd actually like to learn to use the hand tools first for the majority of smaller work (working on boards less than 4' long).

I want to build all sorts of things: Small boxes, coffee table, shelves, dresser, and I'd also like to build cabinets for various rooms (laundry room) as well as for the shop. I can't wait to get started.

I know these forums will be a tremendous resource for learning in addition to all the other resources available. Thanks in advance for all the wonderful knowledge and experience all you users can give.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome! Start on the shop stuff first and considerate it practice till you move up to the show pieces for the house.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Good for you and welcome! there is a wealth of information and plenty of good guys willing to share.
Paarker is giving good advice, start with your shop stuff, learn the
basics of cabinet boxes, doors etc..
It really is a great way to spend your money :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts