Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
woodbutcherer
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife picked these up for me today on a rummage sale. $50 (chainsaw not included)
2011-07-08_11-54-19_748-2.jpg
Hopefully they are decent to start with.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
They aren't bad althought I can't tell if they are High speed steel or the older carbon steel. If they don't say High Speed steel on them somewhere then be very careful sharpening. If you blue the edge of the carbon steel tools you will remove the hardness and it won't hold an edge very long until you've ground past that part. Be very light on the grinder and cool in water frequently so the edge never has a chance to get hot.
I think $50 is a little high for a set like that. I've bought them for as low as $10 but usually see them in my area for about $35 and then talk them down to $25. If not I pass them up. I sell them back to beginners for my cost. I currently have an unopened set of the high carbon steel tools that I got for $5. The High Speed Steel ones are easily worth $50 but like I said I can usually buy them for less.

·
woodbutcherer
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made sure they were hss before she bought them. I wish I would see more of this stuff in my area, but these were the first I've seen in 6 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts