Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to run to Springfield today as my daughter locked the keys in my wife's car. So, to make the trip more fun for me I decided to stop by the local Grizzly Showroom to check out the toys & see what'd been added to the clearance room. Well, they added (3) 14" bandsaws, a couple lathes, several jointers and a drum sander. This unit is the 12" baby drum sander that is normally $595. It had a few scratches & was marked down to $475. I talked to the sales rep who is responsible for markdowns and asked for some more off. He came down to $425, so I said sold. I didn't have a chance to use it yet but I'm excited to try it out.

Attachments

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Good price, have used this machine with good results.
You have to be careful with thickness, it jams easy and strips the gears when you try and back the head off a piece that was to thick.
It has hook and loop spiral belt system, the sharp corners on each end should be avoided with stock passes, as they come loose easily and throw the belt right off.
Plastic "bundling" wire ties tightened on each end will save a lot of belts from getting thrown, frayed and then need to be replaced..

·
7,222 Posts
Looks like a good deal. :thumbsup:

I recommend opening up the dust port to 4in. Drum sanders create a lot of dust and need a lot of airflow.

I purchased a Performax 16/32 drum sander on clearance. It was the last model with 2 1/2in dust port. The next model had 4in dust port and the reviews were saying it finally was able to clear out the dust.

My hood is plastic, so I cut out the 2 1/2in port and used epoxy/fibreglass to mount a 4in dust port. I was very glad I did. No issues with dust collection.

Your retrofit should be easier, looks like a nice flat surface. Mine sloped side to side and different slope on front and back.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bzguy said:
Good price, have used this machine with good results.
You have to be careful with thickness, it jams easy and strips the gears when you try and back the head off a piece that was to thick.
It has hook and loop spiral belt system, the sharp corners on each end should be avoided with stock passes, as they come loose easily and throw the belt right off.
Plastic "bundling" wire ties tightened on each end will save a lot of belts from getting thrown, frayed and then need to be replaced..
Thanks for the tips. I value opinions, especially from user who have this unit.

As far the paper corners, do you tape yours down like they say? If so I'm not sure how'd they'd catch. Anymore guidance, lessons or help will be greatly appreciated.

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I value opinions, especially from user who have this unit.

As far the paper corners, do you tape yours down like they say? If so I'm not sure how'd they'd catch. Anymore guidance, lessons or help will be greatly appreciated.
I do not have this unit, but I have a FlatMaster which also uses hook and loop paper.

I do tape down the end of the spiral. In my case the left side is the end which faces me as it rotates.

I found out the hard way how easily the end facing the direction of rotation can come loose - and if it does, the entire wrap comes off. Quite a scare, although no damage.

I now tape this down. If the tape starts to come loose I hear this first as the tape will tap against something, so I know to stop the tool and investigate.

The tape does not like to stick to the abrasive, hence the need to check each time you start up the tool.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
...... I talked to the sales rep who is responsible for markdowns and asked for some more off. He came down to $425, so I said sold......
never hurts to ask. worst thing they can say is "no". tools purchased at less than bust out retail always work better than tools purchased at full price.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense. Thanks for the tips Dave. I'm not sure what my Christmas buds will be this year, but I'm sure this drum sander will be used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts