Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am rather new to woodworking. Since the plant where I worked shut down, I have decided to go back to school and get a degree in Carpentry and Construction. My plans are to start out in the woodworking field, cabinetry, furniture making ect.
Other than my love for wood and tools (oh yea, I am all about new tools…) my favorite thing to do is fishing. Anyway, I hope to find an enjoyable time on this site getting answers to my many questions and reading about new tricks and new tools.
Bill S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
welcome

This sounds like a basis for a pretty interesting thread in itself, given the present economic climate. Looking at a transition myself, (moving) I'd be happy to get it rolling if I knew a little more about what you aim to do. Right off the bat it seems like if you want to do cabinets and furniture, a course in general construction and carpentry is going to be very broad in it's scope; and while it's good to know as much as you can, the daily concerns and logistics of shop work are a whole different world. If you're looking to change gears fast and make a viable career out of woodworking, finding a niche is a good idea. I'd recommend paying alot of attention to stairs, then read some more from a number of old books that are out there. You never have to explain why you're asking for "so much" or even "as much" compared to Home Depot, like with 90% of cabinet jobs. Even if there's a major manufacturer in your vicinity, you can compete as a small shop with a calculator, a lazer, a decimal inch ruler and a set of trammel points. Once you can confidently break it down into the relevant set of numbers you don't need CAD, CNC, or even any shop drawings beyond checking out how different the site is from the blueprints.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Hi there and welcome, glad to see another wood and “tool” lover who’s on the same level as me. :laughing: I went to collage once a very long time ago for construction technology in hopes of being a project manager. I made a wrong turn some were along the way and ended up in technology field. Oh well, who would a thought? :blink:
Anyway, looking forward to hearing about your journey. :yes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts