Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, in Rochester MN

New to woodworkingtalk & would describe myself as a intermediate level wood worker. Haven’t done much in the past few years but just purchased a home (that needs work) complete with woodshop & tools, i.e. jointer, 10” table, radial arm, 18” planner, drillpress, dust collection, etc.

Anxious to get started – first project is a fireplace mantle / surround. Should be an easy project but need help with design & material suggestions. I’m stuck.

Any and all thoughts welcome. Anxious to explore woodworkingtalk.com

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Welcome to the site!
:eek: Wow, you bought a house and it came with all those tools?
Man that was a heck of a find.

I have built fireplace mantels before and your right it is not difficult, if you plan it out first. make you a drawing either by hand or with a program, but it is easier to make adjustments and changes before you start wasting expensive wood.:thumbdown:
As far as material choices goes, it would depend on the look that you want in the room you will be putting it. You might look around at websites that sell mantels and get some ideas. I find this helpful to me when I'm trying to come up with a design.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I rebuilt our mantel a few years ago. Don't have any plans to offer, but suggest you look at as many examples as possible and grab bits and pieces from those you like.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
need help with design & material suggestions

rwightman,

Can you take a couple of pictures of the area in question along with some dimensions on both sides of the fireplace to any obstruction and also above to the ceiling. It would be nice to know the dimensions of the firebox...width, height, depth, distance from floor to bottom of firebox, width-depth and height of the hearth.

Not to many questions but needed to get a good design.

Pete A.

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
Gary Striegler does detailed construction of a mantel in his video demonstrating use of kreg pocket holes.
johnep

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Hey, thanks a bunch for the ideas and thoughts. I did pick up some design idea books today, and will see what I can come up with on paper.

again - Much appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts