Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I love working with hand tools and am picked on constantly about my chisels and planes. Even so when it comes to important thicknesses such as tendons, rabbits, dovetails, I do tend to pull out the digital calipers and get down to close tolerances. When it does not mater I leave them in the drawer and just make things visually pleasing. As for the dovetails on the plane, they are double dovetailed and then peened. You make a regular dovetail as in woodworking then file a second dovetail on the pin side and leave the tails long and hammer them into it and file it flat. This locks them together like one solid piece. I practiced with both pieces steel but realized when I finished you could not tell it was not a solid piece I decided to make the sides out of brass to bring it out.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Man looking at my chessboard again today I realized it's crap compared to yours lol. I can't see it too well in the pictures but the only good thing about it right now is the checker board is pretty tight minus one spot where it's chipped. But the top is also warped too lol, I have a lot of work to fix it.

Attachments

·
sawdust manufacturer
581 Posts
Beautiful work, Paul!:eek:

Welcome, and thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

p

21 - 29 of 29 Posts