Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My name is Cameron and thanks for providing this group. I have a question I'm hoping someone can help with. I purchased a custom timber dining table and during the process the colour of the stain was changed to be darker. After they guy delivered it I now notice that the red stain comes out... like on the sleeves on the arms of a jumper when resting on the table. The guy is being very difficult the secure him to come back and fix it but I am not sure he knows how. Could I get some recommendations for me to fix it myself? I want a matte finish.

I share a photo here and let me know what you think?
Furniture Table Wood Cabinetry Rectangle

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
You said "like on the sleeves on the arms of a jumper".
I'm confused. Is the Are you talking about the color coming out on your clothes?.
The stain should not come out unless he put it on over the finish.
The sanding and flattening look really bad unless it's just the reflection of light. That being said, he did a really, really crappy job,
That is why he isn't coming back

Do you know what the finish is? Oil? Polyurethane? Lacquer?

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
If I were you, I would take it to a refinishing shop and have it stripped. Then find a cabinet shop and see if they can flatten the top and sides, sand and put a new finish on it.
I certainly would not take it back to the guy that caused this in the first place. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and go.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Overall, I agree with Tony. I expect when you asked for the finish to be darkened they had already completed the finishing. They probably went over the top of the finish with something like a gel stain to darken it, but then failed to apply at clear coat over it to seal it in.

If you are happy with the rustic look and the only issue is the stain rubbing off onto your clothes, take it to a refinisher to have them assess if it can be just clear coated or if it needs to be stripped and totally refinished.

If you were expecting a nice smooth top and finish, see posting #3 (thanks Tony!).

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
Curious question: was this slab when cut a light colored piece or dark?
If you look at raw wood and want to know what it would like like when finished, just rub some lacquer thinner across it It will dry up in a few seconds but you will have an idea. If no lacquer thinner, spit will do. Reason I ask is because the top piece looks like it would be quite interesting without stain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts