Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife wants to buy one. $$$$ !! I thought I could save some money by making it myself. Plus I inherited more wood tools than I can use! I might as well try it I guess. I guess the table would be 8 feet long. I have no idea if I would want to attempt chairs!! Thanks in advance on any input.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's a pretty tall order if that's a first project. Not to say it can't be done, just be realistic about how much time it will take you to build, then double it to account for the additional time to finish it properly. Do your homework and design the top properly. Also, I would personally forget about building all of the chairs, but that's just me. My wife is patient with how long it takes me to complete a project, but building chairs would take way too much time I would think.

·
where's my table saw?
27,887 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow this is a lot of good info woodnthings and everyone else. I will look at this! 4thstreet I was curious if anyone had tackled chairs too or just bought them. I imagine there is some $$ savings doing it yourself too. Yea ,time expectations will have to be managed..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bob_1 said:
wow this is a lot of good info woodnthings and everyone else. I will look at this! 4thstreet I was curious if anyone had tackled chairs too or just bought them. I imagine there is some $$ savings doing it yourself too. Yea ,time expectations will have to be managed..
Looks like there are a couple of good examples of folks doing chairs. For me (and I suspect others as well) building is not necessarily cheaper. If you just want a chair, I am sure you can buy cheaper than building. If you want a quality chair it might be a toss up. However, if you include the value of your time, building is expensive, albeit extremely satisfying. For me, building furniture is a hobby. If I wanted to make a living at it my hourly rate (salary/profit + shop cost depreciation) would be about $75/hr. The dining set above has about $800 worth of Black Walnut. Add my labor and that set would cost $25k to $30k. I know I could buy cheaper, but would not be as satisfied.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts