Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Mechanics
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new to this woodworking forum and just wanted to drop in and say hey! Also thanks in advance for any and all members who take the time to read these posts and comment with their knowledge and expertise.
I really hope I'm not bringing up an old thread by asking this, so here goes. I picked up a Lane cedar chest that someone just sat by the dumpster.
I couldn't believe someone would just toss out a cedar chest let alone a Lane branded on, my gain. I know Lane had a patent or used a patented corner joint for this cedar chest, my question is what is actually supposed to be in the top of the joint? The small elongated circle/rectangle with rounded ends that you see if you had the lid open and were looking down on the top of the joints. It looks like at some point someone has used some colored filler to attempt to repair it. Is it supposed to be filler, or is it supposed to be a special biscuite-esc type of joinery? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Brown Stairs Wood Rectangle Wood stain

Wood Packing materials Hardwood Flooring Wood stain

·
Registered
Mechanics
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes way more sense looking at it now. Thank you all for the replies! The first picture you attached is what I meant by top of the joint, kind of a weird area to describe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts