Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

Thought I'd stop in and say hello, and thank you all for the advice you've already given me, even though you didn't know you were offering it. ;)

I'm just starting this new hobby, even though I've been researching it for months while I work up the capital to get a simple shop going. However, I got in a little over my head with SWMBO, with all kinds of promises of "We don't need to buy that, I can build it for you."

So now, before I even own so much as a router or hand plane, I already have a table saw stand/router table, a set of laundry room cabinets, nightstands, and a bar to build. :eek: So, you'll probably be hearing a lot from me in the next few months as I'm learning the fundamentals and making my first, cursory, mistakes.

I look forward to talking with you all! Thanks in advance!

DRoy

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
We don't make mistakes.. we make firewood. And if we do make a mistake we are adept at hiding it...usually:shifty:
As you dig thru the threads DRoy, you'll see many folks posting their mistakes. This makes perfect sense because.. 1. They'll get good advice on how to avoid it in the future.. 2. Others will see this and say "ah haa.. This is what I have been doing wrong.".. 3. Everybody reading the thread learns something. So you're in for a triple win situation.
Dive in and enjoy, ask and get answers but most of all be safe in the shop.
Welcome Aboard
..Jon..

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Mistakes are expeince

We gain experience by making mistakes. Mistakes are nothing to be afraid of provided we learn from them.

Acknowledging mistakes is part of learning. Those that provide excuses for mistakes never learn from their mistakes, they just become talented at blaming.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Welcome. Believe me, I'm in the same boat as you, SWMBO! But I have learned to just keep my mouth shut! :). She has even taken my man cave away and complains about the sawdust, just because she does glass / lamp work. :) Everyone on here is great and helpfull.

Eric Williams

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
J Thomas said:
We don't make mistakes.. we make firewood.
Laughing!

Welcome DRoy,

We all started where you are now and we love to help each other along.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the welcome, guys! I do have a quick question. Is there a relationship between WWT and HomeBrewTalk.com? I only ask, because I'm a member there as well, and I see A LOT of similarities, and a few familiar faces.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I don't belong to the "Home Brew" group but do keep the brew out of the workshop :thumbsup:

Do be careful because you have a lot to learn. Respect those tools and understand them... a few basic points, on the ts, know what causes kick-back and when using the router, the wood needs to be fed into the spin, not with the spin.

I again welcome you to a great site.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
know what causes kick-back
No kidding. I was recently referred to a u tube video showing a guy simulating a common cause of TS kickback, and it was definitely a humbling, eye-opening video. I'm working with an old Craftsmen Model 113 TS (circa ~1950-1960) and it does not have a riving knife. Task 1 on my shop to-do list is to get one of those installed before I start anymore projects.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts