Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am totally new here and have no woodworking knowledge at all so I need some help. I have a very nice wood farm table in my dining area. With 3 kids it seems to have acquired a sticky residue on the surface. Any kind of paper sticks to the table leaving pieces stuck behind when paper is removed. I'm assuming it needs to be refinished and resealed but I have no clue! Do I sand it or use something to remove the residue? Please help!!!

Thanks!

·
7,222 Posts
We need pictures and more details.

Is the table solid wood, if so what type?

Does the wood have a stain and finish or just a finish?

You likely need a cleaner/degreaser for the residue, but without knowing more details it is difficult to give a recommendation without risk of ruining the table.

If you have Simple Green on hand this may be pretty safe to try to remove the residue. Try in one spot. If a few drops of full strength Simple Green does not remove the residue, it will require stronger cleaner/degreaser.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard, first of all an pictures will help so we can see what you see, so we can help you better

Attachments

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome - Dave is saving us a lot of typing by asking you if the table is made of solid wood, ply, veneer etc. Take a few pictures to include the top, edges. and underside. Focus on cracks (if any) etc. If it really is an old farm table, chances are it's solid wood - what kind?

Lots of questions and lots of variables...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts