Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Welcome. You are in luck, there are a few pen turners here. It can easily be done in a small space too. You might want to think about a small duct collector, for health reasons and just good house keeping.

Wood is easy, ebay is one place to get it cheap. Some of the fellers here sell wood too. Or better yet, try to find your own, you would be surprised what you may find in the neighbors firewood pile :shifty:.

When you get time check out the gallery here, there are some nice small turnings pictured and some pens.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I also make memory pens. These are made from wood of things I like to remember.
Mike
Your whole post was good :thumbsup:, I just picked out the quote to help the new guy here. Not only can you make pens for yourself to remember...but give a couple pens to guys (firewood cutters, tree services, woodworkers with "scraps", etc.) and some will remember what you do with what they found as waste. Next thing you know you could have truckloads of pen blanks, literally.

The more you turn, the more you will be surprised what makes great pens. Maybe a tree in your own front lawn is dropping limbs that would make killer blanks? Some of the ornamental plantings in the yard have cool wood, dogwood, redbud, lilac, any fruit trees (apple, pear, peach, plum...) they grow slow and are most often hard and tight grained. Good turning stock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.