Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi wwt community, checking in.

It started with my inability to find a tv component cabinet that was precisely what I was looking for and now I am determined to build it. So I started acquiring tools and watching Steve Ramsey, Laney Shaughnessy and whatever else I could find on youtube. I have been practicing some joinery techniques and have been working on my first sub-project: a crosscut sled. But I feel a little intimidated. I have sketched my plans and a cut sheet. I haven't taken the plunge and purchased the lumber yet. But I'm slowly building up the gumption to do so.

My biggest holdup at the moment is having confidence in selecting the appropriate lumber for the project at hand. I am going to use these forums to read, learn and ask questions. Maybe some day I will be able to proudly share my projects and even answer a question!

I am an attorney by trade, and was raised in a house where someone was hired to handle every repair in the house. I always admired DIY folks and have become pretty capable of doing anything in the house that does not involve working at heights. That I'll leave to the pros. Woodworking is a chance to work with my hands, create, improve my home and also show my sons that there are things to do that do not involve the TV and the computer. Yet, here I am on the computer blabbing about it, but I digress...

Cheers mates.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Welcome to the community!
You can do a search for crosscut sleds-- there've been several posts about that topic as I recollect.
Nice place here-- they even let Docs play here...

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Just keep in mind as you get into woodworker that a woodworker is someone who keeps a picture of his shop in his wallet ... right there where the money used to be :smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome. I'll be sure to keep a photo of my wood shop when it consists more than a couple crappy tables with all my stuff scattered around lol
:thumbsup:

Had a blast today just messing around with some 1/2" plywood scraps. Drew a template for a car, cut 6 pieces, let my son glue it up, filed it even...can't wait to use my router table on it to round it over and make a some kerf cuts on the table saw. First actual thing I am making from wood. So much fun!

·
Registered
13 Posts
More fun than making a project is the chance to spend time with your son. Woodworking is a great hobby to share. Memories last a lifetime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts