Woodworking Talk banner

New Techniques

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  firemedic 
#1 ·
I thought this would be a nice way to try some new techniques. My wife loved it and she's already concocting up a new stain for it.

No glue, no fasteners. A little bit of head scratching and definitely sold on buying new hand tools. I used my Japanese pull saw quite a bit on this and that was a great experience. Also used my cheap crappy HD chisels and that wasn't so great. Narex are probably my next purchase.

Would love some feedback.

See less See more
#14 ·
A dowel plate - taper the end of a square piece with a chisel or knife start pounding them through until you get down to the size you need.

...round dowels are not ideal for pinning a top though - a tapering octagonal with glue grooves and a head work better and are period correct for a time when they were commonly used..

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Isn't it just a metal plate with appropriately-sized holes in it, and you'd pound a piece of wood roughly-sized through? I think I remember reading about that in one of my Eric Sloane books...

Acer

EDIT: Yup, simul-posted with FireMedic.
80% of what I know about woodworking, I learned off of The Woodwright's Shop and from Eric Sloane... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.