Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got my new table saw, the Craftsman 22140, against the advice of some friends and my wife due it's weight and the fact my shop is in my basement down some stairs. Getting it down took 4 of us, but it's there and I couldn't have been more pleased except for the fact a torsion spring fell out of the bottom of the saw. Well I went down tonight after work and started putting it together, pretty straight forward. After getting the legs on it and standing it up, I decided it was time to figure out where the mystery spring needed to go. Well, it seems it is to keep tension on the V-belt. It's wedged on the hinge pins of the motor mount. Well, I'm not Superman and I can barely budge it, so I can't get it on. Any ideas or am I going to have to call all my buddies to come over so I can pack up this beast and take it back? I was quite suprised it needed a torsion spring to keep pressure on the belt in addition to the weight of the motor and mount, but this is what the parts breakout says.... so how what?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you ever get the spring on stick? I am not familiar with the Craftsman stuff but would like to know how you come out.
Well, it seems I was trying to put a square peg into a round hole so to speak. I called the 1800 number on the saw and got in touch with a real American human being, not a computer and not a call service in Pakistan. I was impressed by this. Well, turns out the spring isn't supposed to be loaded with tension as I thought and guy on the other end even sent me an email with pictures to show me how to get it back on. 2 minutes later... it was on and I went back to putting the rest of the saw together. I've been working on so many other projects I haven't had time to finish putting my brand new saw completely together yet. Tomorrow is another day. But at least I don't have to drag that thing up the stairs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a PITA

Well, now after a few days of messing with this saw... it all boils down to the table not aligning with the saw blade. Isn't that some "junk"? To throw salt into the wound, the saw just went on sale for $110 less than when I bought it on Tuesday. The repair guy can't make it out until next Thursday... so I'm really not having a good weekend as I had planned. I thought about taking the top off and making the holes in the cabinet the next size bigger on a drill bit to give me that extra 32th of an inch that I need, but it's brand new and under warranty. I should pack it up and drag it out of my basement and get a full refund, then turn around and go buy something else for 700 bucks..... man, I'm really bummed!!!! Absolutely NO quality control.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Service....

It is a PITA but yeah, pack her up and take it back...
Well, I don't think I could have asked for better service. I went up to Sears and told them about the blade not being true to the table and that the repair service was going to come out but I was going to bring it back to get the extra discount. The manager told me to just show him the receipt and bang.. I got the discount, got my service fee back from the first saw, and they even fixed my service plan to the home plan so I wouldn't have to pay for any service. Pretty great deal. I must say there was a silver lining to all this. Now, I just have to wait until Thursday to play with my new toy.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts