Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a set of stack dado cutters to use on my tablesaw (an old startrite model) The arbor wasn't long enough so i had also brought an arbor extension which screws on. Having run a test piece of ply through, on which the cut was perfect, i turned the saw off but as it gradually slowed down the teeth on the chippers seemed to tap each other (only very slightly). Should all the chippers 'stay put' on the arbor as they seem quite free to rotate? I can send a pic if anyone can help ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmmm, are you familiar with dadoes and arbor extensions? Do you suggest returning/replacing the dado set or do you know how i could get someone to come and assist in person?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have a stacked dado blade set but I've never delt with an arbor extension. Frankly that sounds a little scary to me.

Someone might be able to assist you in person if we knew where you lived.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ur right it looks a little scary too ! I'm near to Stansted Airport in Essex, England if anyone can help !?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Errr :eek: dont use the blade again until you can be sure that it is locked on tight to the arbor.

Imagine that lot coming off the arbor and spinning happily around your workshop (it would be like something from a hollywood horror movie). Definate no no.

Most wood workers in the uk shout loudly about the use of dado blades and the danger that is involved in thier use.
I for one am happy to use mine, i think when used properly and correctly setup, they can shave hours off of job.

If you can post a piccy up of this extension, then perhaps we can see what the problem is :thumbsup:

Trouble is now in the uk, most machines are desgined to NOT take a stacked dado, or moulding head. No doubt some boff sat on his arse in brussels, thought that it would be a good idea to ban them :thumbdown:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Yep and living in England you better not let the Dado Bobby's know ya got it they will toss you in the Crossbar Hotel. Incredibly as it sounds, my understanding is that they are illegal there.
Personally, I wouldn't let that stop me either but if you have an accident don't tell the doctor in the E.R. it was a Dado he will call the copers on you. :laughing:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm, odd looking thing :laughing:

Need more info on how this setup works!

Does the blade fit onto the extension, then the extension fit onto the arbor? So in other words looking at the bottom picture the blade is on the left of the extension shoulder, sort of sandwiched between the two shoulders?

I will do a quick scetch amd post it up!

Edit:

Does the blade (shown in red) fit onto the extension (shown in blue) like this?

The black is the existing part of the machine!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Looks to me like you need to add a thin washer to take up the slack. If your making say a 1/2" dado you will need more washers to take up the slack but I could see how this setup would work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With your dado set, did you get some shims?

The freud dado, comes with a set of shims, like gurt big penny washers. These are used to widen the stack by % of an inch.

You could shim one of the outer blades to take up the slack like in this diagram:

Just add as many shims as is nessassary to make the blades tight, they need to be real tight.

But i can see that you are only going to be able to have one size of stacked blade, rather than the various thicknesses that a dado set can do.

Sorry that we cant come up with a miracle answer to the problem.

Quick edit: just out of curiosity ( < spelling) how far does the thread that the extension screws onto, protrude from the machine? Lots or little?
Reason i ask is, if you only have a short thread, you could run the risk of the extension unscrewing itself and the whole cubbubble coming off. Especially so if you have an electronic brake on your saws motor. Stacked blades and motor brakes dont mix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks people

Hi again, thanks for all the advice n pics, there's plenty of thread Wildcoyote and the motor doesn't have electric brake on it, the arbor minus thread is about 9/16" long and the threaded section is 5/8" long.
I think i'll swap the dado set for a smaller bore and fix it tightly- at least i could form dados upto 9/16" that way......mmm? Alternative: swap the stack for a few straight cutters to use in the router !!:smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts