Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AARP sawer
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to build a woodworking shop within my barn. The barn is presently used for lumber drying and storage. I have a shed hallway that is 16'x40' that will be the shop area. My plans call for a concrete slab, 3 runs of cinder blocks, the ends will have a garage door and window on one end with large windows and a 6' door on the other. The walls will have treated sill plates anchored to the block. The walls will be constructed with 2x6's on 16" centers; the outer walls will be covered with 5/8" osb. The ends will have vinyl over the osb. The walls will be insulated with R19 insulation. The interior walls will be covered with osb and sprayed white. The ceiling joist will be 2x10's on 16" centers and will be covered inside and out with osb, and insulated with R19. I plan to run a dust collector line under the slab with an electrical line in the center of the slab. What do you builders think is the best floor to use in this application. I have enough overhead room to install a wood floor (comfort issue) that would serve for room to run electrical and collector lines. Your thoughts please...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why pour a slab then put a wood floor on top of that? I were you, I would just put a wood floor down with treated floor joists and be done with it. Insulate between the floor joists, with vapor barrier on the ground first.

Just my 2 cents.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
For the floor you could create footings with concrete, and then build your wood floor above, creating a shallow crawl space under the floor. You could run all your ducting, electrical, and airlines [if you have them] under the floor. If you insulate the floor, and put vents in the side walls, below floor level it would help keep the joists and flooring dry. This would also give you the flexibility to add additional systems later, without having to tear up concrete.
You might want to consider doing the inside walls with drywall, for the fire prevention aspect. Not as strong as OSB, but much less flammable.
All the other ideas you have put forth seem to be the makings of a real fine shop to me.

Gerry

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
what are you going to do for heating and cooling? depending on how you end up finishing your floor, radiant heat is the bomb :thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have enough overhead room to install a wood floor (comfort issue) that would serve for room to run electrical and collector lines. Your thoughts please...
I would recommend the interlocking floor mats in all the work areas. In and out feeds of all equiptment and around work benches.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
512 Posts
For the floor you could create footings with concrete, and then build your wood floor above, creating a shallow crawl space under the floor. You could run all your ducting, electrical, and airlines [if you have them] under the floor. If you insulate the floor, and put vents in the side walls, below floor level it would help keep the joists and flooring dry. This would also give you the flexibility to add additional systems later, without having to tear up concrete.
You might want to consider doing the inside walls with drywall, for the fire prevention aspect. Not as strong as OSB, but much less flammable.
All the other ideas you have put forth seem to be the makings of a real fine shop to me.

Gerry
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts