Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New-In-Box Ridgid JP0610 6" Jointer - $250

Old (very well maintained) Craftsman (King-Seeley) 103.23900 6" Jointer - $125

The budget doesn't really fit the Ridgid, but when I first saw it, the $250 price tag was hard to look past. Then along comes the Craftsman and it's easily affordable, but the fact that it's 50+ years old has me second guessing. But, then again, the fact that it's 50+ years old and looks in such great shape has me thinking I should get it because it will probably last another 10+ years easy.

I can find all sorts of good things about the Ridgid, along with some bad, but not much on the Craftsman. Any others still running one of these beasts?

·
Registered
159 Posts
$125 for a 6 inch sounds good to me. I buy the old stuff, it's cheap and built like a tank. If you got the funds sure a new one would be great. Some of those craftsman have non-adjustable out feed tables that guys don't care for. For $125 I would try it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the only adjustment on this outfeed table is leveling. The infeed table is adjustable, but not 100% sure the full range yet.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
What's the difference in the horsepower between the two? Does the older Craftsman have a dust collection port? Does the Craftsman use blades that are easily available? Is the guard on the older unit in place and functional?

Bill

·
Registered
12,945 Posts
$125 for a 6 inch sounds good to me. I buy the old stuff, it's cheap and built like a tank. If you got the funds sure a new one would be great. Some of those craftsman have non-adjustable out feed tables that guys don't care for. For $125 I would try it!
MY old Craftsman 6" jointer has a non adjustable out feed table and I never even think about it. It takes a post like this for me to ever think about it.

An old Craftsman jointer of probably a better machine than a new $250 one.

George

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's the difference in the horsepower between the two? Does the older Craftsman have a dust collection port? Does the Craftsman use blades that are easily available? Is the guard on the older unit in place and functional?

Bill
The Craftsman has a 3/4 HP motor where the Ridgid has a 1HP induction motor. The only guard that is missing is the belt guard on the back, but if you didnt' know it was supposed to have one you probably wouldn't notice. It does take 6 1/8" blade that actually match the ones that are on the Ridgid.

I just picked the Craftsman up about 30 minutes ago and am getting ready to haul it down the stairs into the basement. I've got some red oak to start on . . .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a couple pics to show how well it's been maintained. I ran some pallet and barn wood through and it made a nice little pile. I've got quite a bit more barn wood to go and I think it will handle it just fine.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts