Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple weeks ago, I bought a Craftsman 12" RAS, #113.29501. I have set up in my basement, and it is in alignment now. My question is this: being a 12" saw, is it going to be a problem to run a dado stack on it? I figure it should be fine, but I'd rather ask and be safe, than not ask and be injured. I've never had one before, and this will be a dado and crosscut-only machine. For $45, I couldn't pass!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Couple weeks ago, I bought a Craftsman 12" RAS, #113.29501. I have set up in my basement, and it is in alignment now. My question is this: being a 12" saw, is it going to be a problem to run a dado stack on it? I figure it should be fine, but I'd rather ask and be safe, than not ask and be injured. I've never had one before, and this will be a dado and crosscut-only machine. For $45, I couldn't pass!
I don't know why they rate Radial arm saws with 10" or 12" when they use roughly the same motor. I've used a 16" sanding disk on my Radial Arm to no ill effect.

To answer your question though, yes. You can use a stacked dado on your saw, just make sure you have enough arbor to get a good grab on the arbor nut. Also make sure it clears the blade guard less you have to take it off.

Do a little research on what you can do with a RAS, once you see all it can do, I'm sure you will be using it for a lot more than just cross cuts!

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
no problem

I have several of the 12" RAS and I run 10" blades. The dado stack will fit as well and the 5/8" arbor is the same as the dados. Your blade cover...assuming you have one will just be oversize. I would not run it without the blade cover/guard in place. The 12" saws came with several types of covers some had a folding lower plastic piece that rolls up out of the way and off the workpiece as you pull it toward you. That's the best. Throw up a photo of the new "bargain" saw!

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
Reactions: schnitz

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I had a 12” craftsman RAS back in 1971 and I don’t know how much it has changed since then, but I have cut a lot of dadoes with it using stacked dados. It worked well, but I was also aligning it at least once a week which got tiresome real fast. I was also cutting a lot of 4x headers at the same time and that may have contributed to most of it.

I don’t know about the newer saws or if they ever added more set screws or anything to help the alignment hold longer, but even after all the trouble I had with alignment, I would buy another any day to use for dados.

Reactions: schnitz

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm still using one a model or two earlier than that. I bought it new in 1973 or 4. The rollers on the arm have eccentric centers, so you can get every last bit of lost movement out of it, and align it perfectly. When the blade hangs up on something, it can very easily throw out an hours worth of fine tuning. I only use mine for accurate finish crosscuts at 90 degrees. I haven't touched any alignment points in years, and it gets used a LOT.

Of course, it can do much more, but other tools are generally better at those things anyway.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Good deal on the ras. Dados should be fine. As mentioned, be sure the arbor nut has enough threads on the arbor.

I've had a number of those saws. You might look at the bottom of the motor, and see if the flat area, has 2, threaded holes. On an older CM ras, which has the holes, I bolted a shop made mount for a router. The router hangs off the motor, opposite the blade, and can stay attached, when using the blade.

Another great addition, is a stop collar, for the post, to limit cut depth.
I needed to cut about 20 1" deep dados in the edge of 2, 2x4's. Cut thye dados in 3 steps.
Gang 2x4's together. Make first cut. Lower blade a turn or 2. Make second cut. Lower again and make final cut to desired depth.
Tighten stop collar to limit cut depth to this depth.
Now cut the rest of the dados. All come out the same depth.
A 20 dados took about 5 minutes!

Good luck with it.

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pirate, in theory, then, I could also set a a stop on the post, and then use a stationary-type sled if I have a project that has different dado (or half-lap) depths. So long as the sled were rigidly fastened to the back guide fence. Or am I wrong? I found a set of really basic looking chair plans a while back that had a mix of dado/half-lap, and m/t joints. And that stop idea sounds ideal for repeat ability. A real challenge of skills, but simple in design appearance. Kinda makes me want to look for the plans again.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I also made a stop for the top carriage for when I was doing stopped dados, radial arm saws get a bad rap by some but in a production shop they can be very versatile when set up properly.
I use a hand screw clamp for a carriage stop! Not elegant, but for the few times I do it, it works. That would most likeley work fo a colume stop!
The only reason I have the machined collar, is, it was on a CM, ras, I bought to turn in for the bounty.

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FrankC said:
I also made a stop for the top carriage for when I was doing stopped dados, radial arm saws get a bad rap by some but in a production shop they can be very versatile when set up properly.

I know they get a bad rap for injuries too. An old buddy of mine had scars almost up to his bicep from one. I hadn't bought one before this for that very reason.....

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brief update. I like this saw. More than I thought I would. That's all...

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cabinetman said:
That saw was a steal. It would be worthwhile to have the manual for the saw. You could probably download one. .
Already did. The Milwaukee router was a steal too. Actually, everything I bought at that auction was a steal, with the lowest "risk" item being an "Ultra" bandsaw. I had to replace both trunnions, but it works well too!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey neighbor - where was this auction? I heard some kind of auctions are being held in Buska Building in Rothschild regularly but haven't checked it out yet.
There was a recall recently on older Craftsman RAS. If yours qualifies you can get a fancy blade guard and a new table. Google it if you're interested.

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello right back! It was out on the west side of Wausau, out by the New Life Pet Adoption Center. They do auctions about every other week, spring through fall.

I hadn't heard about any other local auctions until about a month ago, but with pre-deployment stuff going on, I haven't had a chance to check them out.

From what I saw, mine is out off the "recall loop". which is fine, I guess. I'd like a better guard, but I also really only plan of dado cuts with it, so I'll just make do with what I have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts