Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started a new project. Here are some of the components milled up and the first mortices cut.





I cut the bridle joint "sockets" on my rubbish hollow chisel morticer, and you can see how much it wanders about, it's due to slop on the guides for the morticing head. I've bought some brass bolts and I'm going to drill and tap the casting then fit the brass bolts as adjusters to take up the slop in the machine. More of that later. In the meantime, these were cleaned up with a chisel.

Tenons were cut on the TS using a crosscut sled. To cut the tenons on the curved parts, I taped the offcuts back on - lesson learned, the thickness of the tape throws the TS settings out and I had to do a lot of tweaking to get the tenons right (strictly speaking the ones at the ends are bridle joints of course). Next time I'll cut the tenons first and cut the curves after.



Here is the first glue up. There will be three more similar but not identical.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the explanation...

And here is the finished job - sorry it took so long, but I've been away on holiday.





It's a folding step stool to allow LOML to reach the top cupboard in our living room. She is 5' 8" tall, but the cupboard is floor to ceiling...





All joints except the bridle joints at the tops of the legs are wedged M&T. The quarter sawn board I had set aside for the tops turned out to be wee bit smaller than I thought and so as not to mix grain, I turned a problem into a feature and fitted small sections with spaces between and so managed to make both tops from the one board.



The inner section is hinged by the bolts you can see and there is a stop inside one of the larger section's legs to hold it when folded so that you can lift the whole thing without the inner section dropping through.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top