Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made quite a few things out of wood in my life, but I am older now and am trying to really get into designing and producing useful pieces for my 1st home. I have a extensive music collection in various formats, and I am looking to build a hanging shelf/case for my cassette tapes. I know I could just buy one, but i want it to be more to my dimensions and coloring and style.

I guess what I am trying to find out is what do I need to do to create small spacers between each cassette and what material it could be. I want the overall design to be basically a square box, and then small spaces for each cassette to rest in with columns holding about 15 and rows holding around 10 cassettes.

Any feedback would definitely help me out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey Buhbuh

I am very new to woodworking as well and am working on my first project but I know a lot of users on here use a program called Sketchup for design and planning projects. Not sure if you are familiar but it might be a place to start. I have the program but there is a learning curve involved and I just haven't had time to use it yet. It looks like a very useful tool anyway. just my .02. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Buhbuh - please go to the "Intro" forum and tell us a little about yourself. Do you have a workshop and do you own any tools. This info would tell me to suggest dado slots for your tapes or case inserts... If it's me, I'm sorry I find your question a bit vague and I have no idea which direction to steer you in.

That being said - Welcome to a great forum with lots of kind and knowledgeable folks. Pictures and detail info can help us to respond and even with a ton of these... you may still get conflicting responses. Woodworking can use a variety of methods and joinery to achieve the same end result. :eek:

·
where's my table saw?
28,738 Posts
there are 2 ways to create "spaces" between them

To make them from wood..... assuming they are still in the plastic boxes.

By subtraction:
One way is to make "dados" or slots into vertical pieces on either side. They can be at 90 degrees to the side or canted down at a slight angle. They will need to be the width of the cassette box thickness plus a little more to allow them to slide in and out. They will need to be far enough apart to give strength to the divider portion in between on the vertical. Grain direction will be important here, to avoid splitting them off. I would not crosscut them for that reason. You would want to use wide boards OR use a plywood or man made material with no grain direction. Getting the dados evenly spaced will be a challenge.

By addition:
The other way is to make the dividers shelves out of thin stock, say 1/8" thick and slightly longer than the cassette when laying flat, and glue them to blocks that are the cassette thickness plus a bit. Then you can glue the assembly to the verticals. This method will be heavier than the first because of the added weight of the shelves. This method will result in very evenly spaced divisions because all the spacers will be identical. OR you could use just spacer blocks and NOT use the thin stock as a shelf. This glue up could be easier. You'd need two sizes of blocks, one for the "gap" the other for the cassette box. Just don't get them mixed up and glue the wrong ones.

The first method will require a router and straight cutter, a RAS or tablesaw with a dado set installed. The second will just require some accurately made strips of the appropriate thickness. :yes:

·
where's my table saw?
28,738 Posts

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts