Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. I found this site about a week ago along with some others. This one seems to be oriented in the direction that I prefer in that there is a good mix of both experienced and those new to this horrid addiction that we all suffer from. A little background if I may. Over sixty two, had some kind of cutting edge in my hands for fifty-five or so years, plenty of "OOPS" experience, built my first lathe out of two pillow blocks, a 2x8, a threaded shaft and a washing machine motor. First tools, screwdrivers and old wood chisels. I am on my third lathe now a jet 1236. It will serve my purposes for another year or so till I make up my mind how much to upgrade. Self taught no clubs close to where I was. Later found The Alabama Wood turners Association was a member there till they changed location and gas prices got high. Just ran into an old friend that sometimes stands in at Cambell he told me about a new club that has formed in my local area also associated with the AAW. I'll join it the next meeting. Now to the new addicts. Join a club ASAP the interaction with other is invaluable. As soon as possible get a good sharping system wolverine is what I use. Get a good four jaw self centering chuck. I have two supernovas both over ten years old never a problem they hold tight. Learn to use a skew properly. Practice,practice, practice and ask questions. As soon as I can figure out how to post pictures I'll post some. First question. Some of us have all ways been told to turn thin that in juried shows that was what the judges wanted. My market wants a heftier thicker wall on my hollow forms and bowls anyone has this has changed in the last couple of years? That's all for now even after turning for almost two decades I still want to know more. "LittleOldMan"

·
4Woodturning
352 Posts
Welcome to the forum, questions, just ask away.... hope to see some of your work soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts