Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had my lathe for less than a week but have been busy trying to learn all that I can. I also made some pen and pencil sets for the wife and kids. They are standard slim line style. Made from purple heart, cocobola and other woodcraft pen blanks.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
i am new to pen turning as well. i have found that a CA glue finish works well (recommended by another member here) and polyurethane.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Nice work, keep them coming. The more you turn the better you will get.

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have noticed that the more pens I turned, the faster I got at it.... Turning is a learned knack.

The finish varies from pen to pen. The first few I used just the liquid HUT wax with bar wax finish. You can see the pen on the left (Purpleheart) has an open porous wood and shows white imperfections from the bar wax. The right most pencil (also Purpleheart) has no bar wax. You can see there are no white imperfections in the finish..... I don't like the imperfections so I stopped using the bar wax.

The pencil, 3rd from the right, has only Shellac finish on it. It is very shiny and should be very durable.

I am looking forward to making some more. I need to run to the lumber store and get some wood. I live near a true lumber yard that stocks all kids of lumber. Is it bad to turn kiln dried wood?

Fred

·
4Woodturning
352 Posts
Looks like you are hooked on pen tuning. I have a been turning for a long time but I still love to turn a pen from time to time. your pens look great, have fun and would like to see more.

·
Registered
680 Posts
PT, It is fine to turn kiln dried wood. You have to take you time but it is fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, Stubbie! I also turn alot of pens. Been doing it for 2 years. The best finish is CA but it takes a lot of sanding after application. The CA gets a "orange peel" look to it so you have to sand to 12,000 grit with micro mesh. It has a mirror shine and is permanent. It is hard as a rock. and crystal clear. I have a pen I use every day for 2 years, and it is still like new. Good luck!

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Batman,
Do you apply the CA directly to the pen from the bottle or onto a rag first? Does it have to get rubbed in or buffed during application?
Do you use it on acrylics or just on the wood?

If it works that good, I am willing to give it a shot. I have been using the micromesh to 12000 grit already.

Do you sand then apply the CA then sand again?

Fred

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fred, I wear latex gloves, and use a polybag to apply the CA. or you can use cellulose batting that is used as a stuffing for pillows. I get mine from Build-a-Bear store at the mall. wrap it in 1 1/2 " strips using paper tape, cut it even. Use thin first to soak in, let dry and then the thiker. The cellulose evens out the CA. Don't use acellerator, it will leave white spots. Then sand. Go to International Association of penturners website, they have all the info on CA use, and many tutoreals on neat stuff. Good luck ! By

1 - 11 of 11 Posts