Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
32,273 Posts
Looking very good! Pro job.
Couldn't have said it better!
Quit your day job and build cabinets?
OH, that's right you did that! Hand carved cabinet fronts maybe?
Flawless gaps based on the photos and that's not all that easy.
Nice work.

Reactions: BigCountry79

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking very good! Pro job.

What slides? What’s the paint schedule?

Did you do r/s in tabke saw or router set?
Thank you!

The slides are 24" full extension soft close slides I found on Amazon. They work well, but a tiny plastic piece came broken off when they arrived. It didn't seem to matter.

24 Inch Soft Close Drawer Slides... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LFYMDBS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The paint was from Lowe's. It's their cabinet enamel from glidden. I sprayed it on with a friend's help using a 5mm husky gun. It was around 3 coats.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't have said it better!
Quit your day job and build cabinets?
OH, that's right you did that! Hand carved cabinet fronts maybe?
Flawless gaps based on the photos and that's not all that easy.
Nice work.
Thanks!
There are a few places where there gaps aren't perfect, and one drawer is 1/16" wider for some reason, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

Getting them installed evenly was a lot harder than I expected. I used the playing card trick, and that felt like I was juggling a million things. Once I figured ot the right gap, it was easier to install them from the bottom up by taking the upper drawers out and screwing them on with the drawer closed. That worked well.

It was certainly harder and took longer than I expected.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,560 Posts
Looks great BC.. I use 1/4" spacers and the height of the drawers (scrap piece) to set up the spacing for drawer slides ..works pretty good..

Reactions: BigCountry79

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hinges for the door came in on Wednesday and I installed the inset Blum hinges.

These things aren't simple to measure out and figure out your offsets, but once you do, they're like magic with the adjustment.
Cabinetry Table Furniture Drawer Chest of drawers

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yeah... it felt like a waste leaving that odd shaped nook there,
Sure, every little bit of space helps. Our first house was really small. We spent a lot of time figuring out how to use all the space but not make it looked cramped or crowded. The second house wasn't huge, but 50% larger. It didn't feel as large as the smaller house until we started to modify it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This house is much larger than our starter home. When we moved in, it felt nice to even have a pantry. Then we realized how annoying those doors and wire shelves were. The little changes do make a big difference.

Yeah @_Ogre I am still not certain what I want to do with the soffit. I do hate mudding corners though, so I left that in place just in case. I might try some lighting just inside the soffit, but I'm not sure how much light it will add. Under cabinet lighting is probably a better bet.

And the tile was impossible to match, so I just used the two spare tiles I found from the basement and did my best. I am not skilled at tile, so I figured I would not be successful removing the notched out tile to replace them. I took the hit on looks and just filled in the holes on the square.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice work, much better than the closet!

You could put some eyeball lights in the soffit and direct them at the cabinet. I've used them in my basement, and since you can get them in silver or bronze, they look pretty nice.
That's not a bad idea...

Reactions: sanchez

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Yeah @_Ogre I am still not certain what I want to do with the soffit. I do hate mudding corners though, so I left that in place just in case. I might try some lighting just inside the soffit, but I'm not sure how much light it will add.
yeah, i don't mind hanging sheetrock, but i truly dislike finishing or painting for that matter. however, after hiring a complete hack for our first home, my wifey has become quite the drywall finisher (y)

both of my girls married diy types, they also acquired the finishing gene from their mother. my son didn't marry as well, he does his own 😂

i'd just trim it out like the top of a door

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm actually good at finishing drywall, but I'm not fast, and it's a messy operation. I hope I never do it enough to really master it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts