Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
30,371 Posts
That oughta make the floor in your shop tilt. They don't make them like that any more. I'm thinkin 450 to 650 lbs?

Reactions: B Coll

·
Registered
127 Posts
You are a Proud new owner great machine of past. Looks like a 3-phase motor 5 horsepower 2, 5/8" belts.

that machine was designed to Eat a lot of wood.

good luck with your new machine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are a Proud new owner great machine of past. Looks like a 3-phase motor 5 horsepower 2, 5/8" belts.

that machine was designed to Eat a lot of wood.

good luck with your new machine.
Unfortunately it's single phase and an open frame compressor duty. The motor needs looked at and it's missing the mag starter. I'll likely just use a 7.5hp 3ph motor as a replacement.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you going to use it as is, or restore it? I was in a shop not too long ago. They guys hobby was restoring old machines. Everything in his shop was Oliver, works of art!
I'm going to fix the issues and use it. None of my equipment is restored. I have no desire, It's all functional (other than my tenoner) and other than making things mechanically sound they don't get spiffed up.

·
Wishing he had a title...
585 Posts
d
I'm going to fix the issues and use it. None of my equipment is restored. I have no desire, It's all functional (other than my tenoner) and other than making things mechanically sound they don't get spiffed up.
Nice to here that! I start that way but usually repaint it anyway but I get that. Mine al get used.

I have the baby brother, pm-100 and love that machine. Don't really need what you have but would still like to have one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Waiting on a mag starter to show up to finish this out. I did find a Westinghouse motor control / starter (7.5hp 3ph) In my pile I'm going to need to take a better look at.

Had to attack the table with a wire wheel. Ive never had to resort to that on a machine regardless of the condition. The rust in this case was almost like a hardened coating. It all flaked off with the wheel fortunately.

Everything had been oiled and degreased. Seems in better shape than i expected.
Wood Gas Machine tool Machine Rectangle

Rectangle Wood Gas Automotive exterior Composite material

Bumper Wood Motor vehicle Gas Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Wood Gas

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have wire wheeled finished tables before. People cringe and want to burn me at the stake but they just don't understand.
I was cringing a bit when I started doing it, but decided it doesn't really matter. Its a pitted table off a newer machine. I can always have it reground (or ideally planed) if I feel the desire.

·
Registered
Termite
6,655 Posts
I remember in around 81 Denise bought a barn hind jointer. His son Dexter took a belt sander to the table. A week later the table was polished.. that dinosaur worked like a charm..

I'll hate Denise and his son Greg till the day I die, but business wise, Denise was a top guy...

·
where's my table saw?
30,371 Posts
I have wire wheeled finished tables before. People cringe and want to burn me at the stake but they just don't understand.
Worse than that, I've used my ROS sander with 320 grit to remove rusted spots on the table saw top when the roof leaked and I wasn't aware for a day or so.
I use PB Blaster as a lubricant and that helped get rid of some rust. You can barely tell there was any damage.

·
Registered
Termite
6,655 Posts
A lot want polished tools, I just want them to work 100%, rust and chipped wore pain is sign character..

I'm chipped, wore and rusty..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sanding with a RO or DA is less aggressive than a grinder with a wire wheel. I hit this with 150 and didn't put a dent into the rust. Actually I typically hit a rusted top with 220 and 320 with a hard pad. Not much chance of digging in.

·
where's my table saw?
30,371 Posts
Nice job on the chrome handwheel! Don't get any paint on that now that it's restored, it will ruin the patina.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts