Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that everything that I have is old lol. but they get the job done. I was talking to my dad the other day about needing a drill press and he said that he used to have a small craftsman and he didn't remember getting rid of it. So we went searching through his graveyard of old tools and stuff and found it but the motor was burnt up..... Not over yet though I have and old corded drill that has a bigger motor in it so I dismantled the drill and I'm in the process of doing the same to the press. I only need to get the casing off of the press to see what I'm working with inside. I know it sounds easy but mud dobbers have built in the screw holes so I can't even see if they are phillips or flat head. Maybe I will get the casing off of it tonight or tomorrow. If anyone has done this before any advice would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A slight dampening of the mud, and a blast or 10 from the air compressor?
Bill
Ehh I got it all out and they are allen heads and I can't seem to find my set so I may have to go and grab a cheap set tomorrow

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
by the way I guess my original post was unclear I meant advice on swapping motors in a press. :laughing: my bad yall

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Any chance of you getting flames to shoot out of the motor like you did with your table saw? That was kind of exciting! :icon_smile:

Bill

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really hope not I have about given up on these damn allen heads they are either a weird size(I borrowed a set of allens from work today ) or they are stripped. I'm thinking about just breaking the casing off and making my own.

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
I am curious. What drill motor has a larger motor than the existing motor on the drill press? You either have a very large drill motor, or a very small drill press. Can you pst pics?

Mike Darr

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
As far as breaking the case because the socket head screws are stripped, you may want to try drilling the heads of the screws off first. Once the heads are removed you will be able to seperate the case halves. There should be enough of the screw remaing to get a hold of with vise grips and remove them.

Mike Darr

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
There is a slight but significant difference between standard and metric hex/Allen wrenches. You will strip out the head if you use the wrong size, even though it feels like it fits, it may not be correct.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am curious. What drill motor has a larger motor than the existing motor on the drill press? You either have a very large drill motor, or a very small drill press. Can you pst pics?

Mike Darr

And yeah it is a very old drill it is a black and decker its a big honkin drill.And the drill press is very small. And yeah I should have looked at this post again before I decided to break the casing off. I have no idea what I was thinking, maybe that there would be a metal frame inside of the cheap plastic. but no the cheap plastic is it. Still going to try it though, but if it doesn't work I have ( I THINK) figured out how to make my own drill press:thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts