Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have squeaky floors on the 2nd floor of my house and have tried useing the screws they suggest to stop it but no luck. Can someone tell me how to determine how far apart the joists are and would it help to use thoses screws there? :thumbdown: I am very happy to be a member and look forward to many future discussions.

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
Is it the boards themselves or are there central heating pipes running through the joists?. We used to be treated to a performance every morning when the boiler came on and the pipes expanded.
johnep

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnep, thanks for your reply but I don' seem to have that problem. The floor squeaks when we walk on it or stand in one place and move around a little. Someone had suggested that I use those screws where the head breaks off and disapears under the carpet. I tried them here and have had some improvement but still a lot of squeaking. I thought if I knew how far apart the normal space is for the joists is I might have a better chance of success. Any tips?

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
You should be able to see the line of the joists from the original nails.
Otherwise buy a stud detector. I have one and very useful when fixing to internal partition plasterboard walls, or attaching heavy light fittings to ceiling.

I use 'turbogold' screws which would not require any pilot hole on pine and heads are self burying.

see them on screwfix.com. Sure similar available in USA.
johnep

1 - 4 of 4 Posts