Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My name is Nathan. I live in Las Vegas, NV and am in my early 30's. I finally decided to join as a member but have been browsing this forum for a while now whenever I need some info, but decided my latest project requires some unique answers to questions and will ask them in other topic boards.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I think this is a great place and that the members here are some of the most helpful people I've ever run across on the inter-tube. You people are awesome!

I'm fairly inexperienced as a fine woodworker, but consider myself a craftsman. I did take three years of advanced cabinet and furniture making courses in high school and also took some woodworking independent study classes and was the shop teachers assistant... So I do have a little experience and won't need to re-learn EVERYTHING (even though that was almost 15 years ago). I was a welder in the military and have spent the last 8 years of my life in college studying Architecture. The design and building of furniture and custom "things" has become my main focus of study as opposed to the design and building of buildings.

I know this site will be an invaluable tool as I move into the finer arts of woodwoking and would like to thank everyone ahead of time!

Nathan

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
Welcome to you!

Architecture was my field of study also. I started in high school and 2 years of college, then I found Industrial Design and continued with that for about 30 years. The skills of drawing and designing will serve you well in this hobby or craft. Physics plays a very important role in woodworking operations with spinning blades and cutters, forces and loading of structural members, wood movement etc.

Welding is another skill you may find useful in making supports and bases for machines as I have. Just today, in the middle of a snow storm I went out to find a failed weld on my plow tractor's bucket. No choice but to take it apart, bring it into the shop, grind and reweld it and get back to work.

If you haven't started a power and hand tool collection you will probably get hooked like the rest of us. Furniture building usually requires a mix of both power and hand tools to turn rough sawn lumber into smooth finished products., although you know by now it can be done entirely by hand. For some it's just as much about the process as the finished product. So what is your shop like...?

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome !!!

Welcome to the forum.