Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
iguana
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I just joined the site, which I found while looking for information on elm lumber. Why am I looking for such information? Having seen several good trees go to waste because I could not salvage them have decided to buy a good used Hasqvarna saw on eBay and a Boadmaster saw guide to cut logs into lumber. I may be able to get some elm, which I have never worked with (my ambition exceeds my time and ability). Anyway, does anybody have any comments or advice about my plan - besides that I should consider something like embroidery?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
A chainsaw mill is a bunch of work...but they do get the job done on a limited budget, no question. What kinda elm, do you know? Here is a little thing one of my lumber customers made out of an old Chinese elm yard tree headed for the burnpile (till I snagged it and milled it). Welcome by the way. Keep us posted, I think more guys would like to mill their own lumber and could learn with you.

·
iguana
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Daren,

I'm not sure it is an elm, have not seen it, and then would not now without further reseearch. The person on whose land the dead trees are said he thinks they're elms, but then said he isn't sure why he thinks that - so we'll see.

I know chainsaw mills are a lot of work, but I only intend to do this when an opportunity comes up - this is not my main job (unfortunately).

By the way, I saw your site, and will probably send my planer and jointer blades for sharpening.

Regards,
Joe

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
The person on whose land the dead trees are said he thinks they're elms, but then said he isn't sure why he thinks that - so we'll see.
:laughing::laughing:, oh boy, I have been down that road. Hey, maybe they are giant cherry or walnuts. I got a call, this ain't no lie (and I know most lies are prefaced by those exact words) for a giant oak. It was standing dead in a church yard. The pastors wife called me because the power company was going to fell it for them for free. She had heard about me through someone else and was nice enough to call and say I could have this big oak, if I would just come haul it off. It was 50 miles away. The power company was dragging it's feet and before they got to it I happened to be near the area.

So I stop by and see the couple (they lived in a parsonage beside the church) and the tree...it was a giant cottonwood :yes:. I guess they thought that fluffy stuff that the tree dropped all over their yard was acorns :huh:.

In all fairness I do not know how long they had the church or how long the tree had been dead. But the fact remained it was a cottonwood, not an oak. I told them I did not really need it, thanks a bunch anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts