Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy there! My name's Joe and I've been a casual woodworker for about 15 years or so. I took some woodworking shop classes in high school back in the 90s, but I'm self taught since then. I haven't made anything too spectacular, but I enjoy the projects that I do. The most complicated things I have made have been a doll house and a table, so nothing too crazy.

I recently got back into woodworking now that I have young kids. It's fun to have them help a bit, and I like making them toys. Toys are probably what I do most these days for myself and for friends.

As for area of specialty, I'm not sure I have one in woodworking per se. I do sharpen knives and tools a lot which comes in handy for woodworking. But sharpening is more working with steel than anything else, so I don't think it can count as a woodworking specialty. I do love sharpening though, and I'd be happy to help anyone out with that if they need it. I'm looking forward to learning more about sharpening as I progress in woodworking.

Thanks in advance for the help that you all will give me. I love using forums to learn more about my many hobbies! Oh yeah, I am kind of a hobby junkie, so I'll probably wonder in and out of woodworking like all of the hobbies I get in to.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome to a great forum and bring your kids along. I've been woodworking a while (hacked for 30 years and got serious when I retired 4 years ago) and I'm self taught. These forums are a good resource of info - so welcome.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where I get wood

To be honest, I am very frustrated with finding wood and I really appreciate the suggestions. Since a lot of the projects I have are functional more than artistic, I usually go to Menards or another big box type store. I do occasionally get some stuff from Woodcraft, but they are pretty pricey for my income level. I periodically get some wood from friends or from online, but that's about it. I'll be sure to check out these places though. As for pictures, I'll try to post a recent cutting board that I made along with some other stuff if I can.

Ok, I found 2 pictures on this computer. Most of my stuff is on my desktop. But this will give you an idea of the kind of stuff I make. I made a couple of tables which are my biggest projects. But these are some fun ones I did recently.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts