Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy a lathe to turn small stuff, and bowls up to 8 inches would this lathe do ithttp://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12VS.html?prodpage=1TC

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I have the Delta 46-460. About the same lathe as that one although I'm sure the electronics are different. The belt changes are very easy on my Delta and yes you do have to change belts occasionally to get better torque or higher speeds depending on what you are doing.
I believe it only costs a little more than the Penn state. You might also look at the new Jet 12" mini.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That looks like a pretty good lathe. I was considering one before I found my nova comet used. It is rated at 1 HP and has a pretty good weight so it should be able to handle small bowls and such. I really like my nova comet they are around the same price you might want to check them out.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have no experience with the PennState but like Preacherman I have the Nova Comet2. The Nova is 3/4 Hp continious but I could find no specs for the PennState to indicate amps so I have no idea of comparison. The other specs on the PSI look good to me.

Comet available here for $460 and free shipping.
http://tools-plus.com/nova-46300.html

I went with the Nova over a Rikon because of the grinding attatchment as the lathe is really for my daughter when she finds room. Variable speed grinding and no additional tool to move when she uses it. The coupler, grinding attachment, finger jig, and base will run about $150 which is still a lot less than a seperate grinder and jigs.

Reactions: hwebb99

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can not speak for that model but i do own the Pen State turncrafter 10" x 18" lathe. i have owned it for almost 2 years and it has served me well for small projects. my complaints are the tail stock is sloppy.the casting on the bottom of the tail stock is a little rough. This is my first and only lathe so i do not have anything to compare it to. As for me I can not wait till i can upgrade to a Nova or Jet.
Tim

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NCPaladin said:
I have no experience with the PennState but like Preacherman I have the Nova Comet2. The Nova is 3/4 Hp continious but I could find no specs for the PennState to indicate amps so I have no idea of comparison. The other specs on the PSI look good to me.

Comet available here for $460 and free shipping.
http://tools-plus.com/nova-46300.html

I went with the Nova over a Rikon because of the grinding attatchment as the lathe is really for my daughter when she finds room. Variable speed grinding and no additional tool to move when she uses it. The coupler, grinding attachment, finger jig, and base will run about $150 which is still a lot less than a seperate grinder and jigs.
That would make the nova cheaper.The psi one was 450 plus 50 shipping and the nova is most likely a better lathe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts