Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, am still trying to decide what new lathe to get. Am looking at the Laguna 16/43. Does anyone have any opinions on this one? I know I have asked before and your help is really appreciated. The problem is I live in an area where I can't really drive a couple of hours and see a vast assortment of lathes so I have to do my looking on line and rely on people's opinions. I have personally seen the Powermatic (a little pricey) and the Jet products. Most of what I'll be doing will be segmented bowl turning. Any help is appreciated. I was steered toward the Nova lathes, but so far have been unable to see one in person.

Many thanks,
Bandman

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The problem is I live in an area where I can't really drive a couple of hours and see a vast assortment of lathes
Perhaps you could mention where (in general) you live.

There might be other forum contributors living close enough that you'd be able to visit and see a few different lathes that way.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Wish I could help. I've seen the Laguna lathe but never been able to use one. What worries me is on all the forum's I attend I have never met anyone with a Laguna.
I have met many many people with Nova lathes and have owned an older one my self. Fantastic lathe and great people behind it. Woodcraft has the DVR on sale right now.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Looks like the price is right for the Laguna, and Shop Fox has a similar lathe for less $$. Saw them both on Amazon.com. Even though I have not seen one or use one my concern would be the rpm's. They both list 600 - 2400 rpm's, I think for bowl turning and using larger boring bits that might be too fast at the low end. Also not sure what type of drive they have, if it is a variable pulley system over time the lower speed will increase as the belt wares out. Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Perhaps I can add to the mix....I use more than one lathe --
I have and use the ShopFox (aka Grizzly) 1758 AND the Nova 1624.
+1 on the low speed on the shopfox being a little fast for boring and unbalanced blanks. Otherwise a good lathe (even tho the low speed is faster as drive belt wears). Would I still buy it?? Maybe-- but Nova is a better unit.
The Nova is my fave! Had my doubts initially about changing belt position for speed---but really is not a problem. I added a shelf to stand for ballast & now it doesn't move--as I do turn some bigger blanks. Great speed selections & as much power as I need.
Dave H

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I added a shelf to stand for ballast & now it doesn't move--as I do turn some bigger blanks.
Not wishing to hijack this thread (any more than I've already done) ...

Dave, could you start a new thread with a couple of pix and an explanation of how you built the ballast shelf for your 1624? (I've been thinking I ought to do something similar.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new lathe

Thanks for all of the responses. It looks like most people really like the nova...I'll check it out closer. By the way, I live about 1/2hr north of Omaha, NE.

Bandman

·
7,222 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts