Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26,338 Posts
Nice lathe. The only thing I can suggest is make sure you notch the wood so the spur center firmly fits. A lathe is the most fun you can have woodworking. You don't want to spoil it by having the wood comming out of the lathe on you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow, I think all I got was a cake for my 13th BD :furious:

A heavy base under it will really make it stable. I like a sawhorse style base with heavy timbers across it. Then, fill the legs with a few hundred pounds of sand and it will be as stable as you can imagine. I have about 600 lbs in my larger lathe, and 350-400 pounds in my small lathe. Then the floor is totally open to step into it without obstructions.

Have fun!
All the best

·
Registered
396 Posts
Congrats! Looks like a nice lathe.

I would suggest trying to find someone to teach you. If you have shop class in school (which is highly unlikely these days) take it, get someone in your family if there is a wood worker to teach you, find a club or someting to get some guidance.

As far as starter projects go I would suggest pens. They are cheap, do not require much wood, (small blanks), and you can learn basic techinques with them. Plus you can easily sell pens and make money for more tools!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Watch you tubes and ask specific questions on this forum
I learned most of what I know from these great guys, watching videos that they recommended and then trying it myself.
When I failed, I asked these guys. They helped me troubleshoot.
I wouldn't be where I am without these terrific teachers and supporters.
Watch and listen to them.....

Good score on the birthday lathe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
+1 on the pens. Cheap and tons of fun. As for advice I recommend a lot of web searching(YouTube) or better yet buy a book. Also a full faced mask. You'l be covered in chips within a minute. Safety first. Good luck.

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
Get someone who knows what he's doing to show you how to turn. Wear a face mask and breathing mask, and start off with something that is not too delicate, like a fishing billy, or even a baseball bat. That's a lot of turning, but it's simple. You can turn bedposts and table legs on that thing, so it doesn't have to be delicate work. When I took a class, we were encouraged to just turn stuff to see how the lathe tools work. So, I made a fishing billy. What else?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maple man just wondering how your making out. After thinking about it I'm agreeing with woodwart baseball bat, fishing billy. Pens require special tools and some set up time. The bat,etc. will be less delicate just chuck a piece and turn away I do believe my first turnings were small vessels and such. Just get a feel for it and the possibilities are endless. But remember safety first I've had some close calls. Had a piece blow apart and hit me in the cheat I was bruised up for two weeks. Keep us posted. Good luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maple man just wondering how your making out. After thinking about it I'm agreeing with woodwart baseball bat, fishing billy. Pens require special tools and some set up time. The bat,etc. will be less delicate just chuck a piece and turn away I do believe my first turnings were small vessels and such. Just get a feel for it and the possibilities are endless. But remember safety first I've had some close calls. Had a piece blow apart and hit me in the cheat I was bruised up for two weeks. Keep us posted. Good luck.
It has been going good I have made some fishing lures mainly poopers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts